Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Booting off and running on USB stick = same speed as SSD hard drive?

Say I run Linux off a USB stick.
    Is this the same speed and performance as running off an SD hard drive?

While on the subject of USB sticks... how do I know the speed?
    Unlike SD cards, I don't see USB stick advertised with speeds?

Assuming that I will run off a USB 3 connection, what should I buy?

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by enginestar View Post
    Not even remotely close. Running off a USB stick is SLOW. It might be marginally better with a USB 3.0 drive in a USB 3.0 port but it will never even approach the throughput of spinning hard drive much less an SSD.
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I agree with NGIB. We are currently using FreeNAS: FreeNAS Storage Operating System | Open Source - FreeNAS - Open Source Storage Operating System on a hex-core machine (12 CPUs considering hyper-threading).

It is designed to run the OS off a stick so that the disks can be used exclusively for data.

It is monitored and controlled by a custom web server, and responses to web requests are very slow compared to other means of storage.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No - there are fundamental differences in the flash memory used in USB sticks and SSD drives. While USB flash used to be *very* slow, it has improved. But in general, it's only 'speedy' when writes/reads are sequential. And USB flash is not designed to last with many reads and writes over and over - it will fail much sooner than an SSD. This makes it not ideal to run an operating system (unless the OS resides primarily in memory.)

There are sites that share user-measured USB thumb drive performance, since they do vary widely between models. Sites like Best USB Flash Drive - 104 Charts - UserBenchmark

If you are running a normal desktop OS from USB, you'll likely want to use an SSD or HDD unless you don't mind the drive A) running slowly with small, random I/O and B) suddenly dying.

Not even remotely close. Running off a USB stick is SLOW.
    quite.

often one can choose a hybrid mode called "live usb install with persistence".
    search for that (with "linux" in front), you will find.
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!