Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Any problems running off a CD tray caddy?

I've seen these super cheap CD tray caddies.

You take out your CD/DVD drive and replace - inside you have an SSD say.

Just wanted to know if this is a common practice that works well with no problems?

I thought I'd ask before trying! I imagine a few hours needed in total - taking machine apart and then installing - if it's a no go area, then I would avoid otherwise.

Thanks.

You are searching for strange ways to operate a computer. Do you not own a computer and are looking for a way to turn someone else's computer into your computer?

It's easy enough to pop in an SSD into any computer without resorting to a caddy. I've never seen an SSD caddy in use or even heard of one being used...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    You are searching for strange ways to operate a computer. Do you not own a computer and are looking for a way to turn someone else's computer into your computer?

It's easy enough to pop in an SSD into any computer without resorting to a caddy. I've never seen an SSD caddy in use or even heard of one being used...
    i've got 4 laptops i use for work.
    having a caddy would be amazing - IF i could boot from it and run an OS - else not worthwhile enough.

I tried to attach image - but doesn't work. Just google for SSD CD drive caddy and u will see
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i cannot see the image either, but i can imagine it well enough.
    it might make sense on a laptop.
    however, will it be just as fast as an internal ssd?
    what is the interface for the cd drive?
    on my desktop mobo, it's the same type of cable that connects the hard drives, SATA. so it should be perfectly ok.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.