Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trying to find a Linux to run on Wyse V90L (2008 vintage)

I have a Wyse V90L thin client from 2008. It's got 512 MB RAM and 512 MB flash memory (DOM; drive on module). It used to have a functioning installation of Windows XP Embedded but after trying to update the drivers for my Belkin Bluetooth adapter, it is no longer able to boot into Windows and my attempts to correct this have failed.

I've been trying to find Linux distributions that I can use (via Internet searches for my hardware) and have tried the following distributions with two different USB flash drives which sometimes give different results when booting:

Porteus-KDE-v3.2.2-i586 - crashes with an unmovable mouse cursor on a black background
    AnitaOS4.31v1 - error on boot:
    Code:
    ISOLINUX 4.01 debian-20100714 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
    No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
    boot: _
    slax-English-UK-7.0.8-i486 - error on boot: flashing cursor top left of screen
    CorePlus-current - works but cannot be installed to the DOM because it doesn't seem to see it.

I've been using PowerISO to write the bootable USB drives.

I would prefer to install to the internal flash memory.

The only thing I want to do with it is use this* teleprompter software, ideally with my Bluetooth remote control.

*Link removed because I don't yet have 15 posts.

It has VIA C3-2 CPU, right? It has cmov instruction then and can run i686 Linux. How big is the flash storage, 1 GB or 2 GB? Is it removable or soldered?

Hi. I think i686 is correct. According to a website (I can't provide links due to restrictions on my account), it has a VIA Eden Processor, 800MHz.

The flash storage is only 512 MB but I hope that will be enough since I only want to use a teleprompter program and a USB bluetooth dongle. The drive is removable but it's an obsolete hardware called a "drive on module" (DOM) and it's not economically viable to upgrade it; I'd rather buy a Raspberry Pi 3 B than upgrade the DOM in this! I could leave a 1 GB USB drive permanently connected inside the case because there's an unused USB header and I have a USB header to USB port converter that I salvaged from a laptop but I imagine the USB drive would be slower than the DOM that's currently connected.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    USB drive will not be slower. Because it is not used after the OS and apps are loaded. It all goes into RAM and works from there. The trouble arises if there is not enough RAM and the poor thing goes swapping. Should not be a problem with Linux. For instance, my Gentoo desktop with OpenBox consumes 110 MB of RAM with all bells and whistles loaded.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If installing a new OS, DO NOT use USB drives. Download a full ISO disc and burn that to a DVD drive. Then, install from that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If installing a new OS, DO NOT use USB drives. Download a full ISO disc and burn that to a DVD drive. Then, install from that.
    Why? Porteus (Linux distribution) is even designed to be run from a USB drive, I think. The Wyse V90L does not have CD/DVD drive. I don't have an external CD or DVD drive although I may be able to borrow one but it would have to be on a USB or parallel port.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can use unetbootin to create a bootable USB drive, and that can then be installed directly to disc. It is basically an ISO on a thumb drive.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Have you any idea what distributions I should be trying to use? Do they have to be 686 versions or should 486 and 586 work (there are some where I don't see 686 versions but only 486 or 586).

i486 and i586 will indeed work, depending on kernel build they may not utilize all features of your CPU, but they will work.