Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How can I transfer files from one hard drive to another?

I am currently using a 1 TB hard drive to record shows from my Channel Master DVR. I received a 2 TB hard drive and would like to transfer what I have to the new hard drive and continue using it. So everything on the 1 would transfer to the 2 but have much more room to add new shows.

The DVR uses Ext4 and the hard drive must be formatted once connected to the DVR. Because of the formatting, if I try to copy files from one disk to the other, once I plug it in, it asks if I want to format (and then proceeds to erase everything). As it stands now, disk 1 is 100% primary partition, with only 47% being used with content. Disk 2 after formatting on the DVR is also 100% primary partition, with 0% used. Because it is not Unallocated, I cannot simply copy the disk from one to the other. I tried that and thought I had it figured out but when I plugged it back into my DVR, it asked to reformat, causing me to lose everything again.

What is the best way to transfer files from my 1 to my 2 without losing what I already have? I am attaching a photo that let's you see what it looks like when I am using "Mini-Tool Partition Wizard"

I will take any help I can get and would be happy to try to explain anything in more detail if needed. I'm on a Windows Vista computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsofSand View Post
    I'm on a Windows Vista computer.
    Good day.

You're going to struggle to copy files as Windows does not support the ext4 format natively, and although there are some apps around that will add support, they're not great. Also, Vista is a truly terrible version of Windows. If you must run it, then you need to look at the newer versions ASAP... or better yet, try out Linux, since you'll need to do that anyway to get things to copy.

I suggest that you put the new drive into the DVR and let it format as it desires. Then get a live Linux distro (almost any will do, but check out something like Knoppix) and boot your PC from the live media. Then connect the drives via drive toaster/external enclosure, or put them into the case if you have spare HDD bays. Then let the drives mount in Knoppix, and copy over.

Be aware, however, that the DVR may of course implement some sort of checksum for digital rights management (DRM) that will still cause it to format the new drive!?

If you're not clear on the live distro thing, go google it - the distros all come with pretty great help pages.

Then once you've seen how cool Knoppix is to work with, try another distro and move on from exclusive Windows usage.

Good luck.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    Good day.

You're going to struggle to copy files as Windows does not support the ext4 format natively, and although there are some apps around that will add support, they're not great. Also, Vista is a truly terrible version of Windows. If you must run it, then you need to look at the newer versions ASAP... or better yet, try out Linux, since you'll need to do that anyway to get things to copy.

I suggest that you put the new drive into the DVR and let it format as it desires. Then get a live Linux distro (almost any will do, but check out something like Knoppix) and boot your PC from the live media. Then connect the drives via drive toaster/external enclosure, or put them into the case if you have spare HDD bays. Then let the drives mount in Knoppix, and copy over.

Be aware, however, that the DVR may of course implement some sort of checksum for digital rights management (DRM) that will still cause it to format the new drive!?

If you're not clear on the live distro thing, go google it - the distros all come with pretty great help pages.

Then once you've seen how cool Knoppix is to work with, try another distro and move on from exclusive Windows usage.

Good luck.
    Wow. In all honesty, there's nothing on the 1 TB hard drive I can't live without, so considering how much work it sounds like that might be and how many hours I've already spent on it which resulted in dead ends, I think it makes more sense to just start from scratch on the new one. Thanks anyway!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    another satisfied windows vista user.
    Tapatalk: Kill it with fire!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    another satisfied windows vista user.
    Ha ha - oh well, I took it as an opportunity to give Linux a punt! Time to close the thread!
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

Back to the drive, hooking it up and looking at its contents probably would answer the question if it can be copied. I see why not. Even if the files are encrypted as they probably are they are still just files.