Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

More than 6 months, I could't find a good Linux Distribution for my PC

Hi all,

Firs of all my PC using:

CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X, 12 Cores, 24 Threads.
    RAM: 32GB DDR4
    Motherboard: Asus TUF X299 MARK 1
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    SSD: 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 SSD

Windows made me sick, made me hate my life, when I use Windows I feel like I am naked in public place, so I decided to move to Linux, good?

I decided to move to Linux, I start searching on Google about which is the best Linux Distribution, people say Mint, other say Ubuntu and most of them say nobody can tell you which Distribution is the best and you must try and find the good one for you.

I start using Virtual Machine to test the Distributions, all of them beautiful, fast and secure, BUT they are all bad on the real machine, sometimes slow, many system errors and drivers problems (a lot of unknown drivers), I was very patient and I searched and tried a lot to fix the problems but no way.

I tried:

- Ubuntu 16.4 / 17.10 / 18.04.
    - Linux Mint 18.2 / 18.3. The 18.3 was the best Distribution I tried but it still not good.
    - Debian 9
    - Fedora 27
    - Manjaro 17
    - elementary OS 0.4.1

Now I start to believe that Linux made only for Virtual Machine.

Can anyone please tell me which Distribution is the best for new hardware?

Thanks

New hardware > needs newest kernel. Also, for GUI, the newest Xorg with its drivers. You can use custom kernel with any distro, just get the latest kernel from kernel.org. That said, you need to know how to configure, build and install it.
    For instance, I started using Skylake when it was two months out and had no issues, because the latest kernel (then) already caught up with it.

Thanks, it's really very important information I never hear about. I will work on it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    New hardware > needs newest kernel. Also, for GUI, the newest Xorg with its drivers. You can use custom kernel with any distro, just get the latest kernel from kernel.org. That said, you need to know how to configure, build and install it.
    For instance, I started using Skylake when it was two months out and had no issues, because the latest kernel (then) already caught up with it.
    Ubuntu 17.10 lost Wifi driver after updating the kernel, I used Ukuu to update and I tried multi kernel and the Wifi never worked, I also updated Mint but I get many problems, Desktop not found, error with Update Manager, I also found on Internet that Fedora the most up to date Linux and I installed it but I could't install the Wifi driver.

Any ideas?

It might be worth trying Fedora 28 estimate final release is beginning of May.

I find Fedora 27 very stable so 28 might work for you.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2 View Post
    It might be worth trying Fedora 28 estimate final release is beginning of May.

I find Fedora 27 very stable so 28 might work for you.

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, I really liked Fedora 27 and I hope the 28 will work good with me, now I am downloading Antergos 18.2 they say they always up to date and my Wifi driver is already installed.

Regards

Linux Guru
    each fedora release is only for 6 months, that wouldn't be viable for me.
    i'd go with arch based, because it's cutting edge and rolling.
    manjaro, antergos might also be good.
    you also might want to install the nvidia proprietary driver.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    each fedora release is only for 6 months, that wouldn't be viable for me.
    i'd go with arch based, because it's cutting edge and rolling.
    manjaro, antergos might also be good.
    you also might want to install the nvidia proprietary driver.
    Thanks, I searched a lot for wifi driver but couldn’t find for Manjaro and Antergos, now I am installing Windows 7 to use it several months maybe new Lenux kernel will release can help me

There is wifi driver for Linux, not for Manjaro or Antargos. What wifi device is this, USB or PCI? Please provide the hardware ID.

-->
    Hi, my wifi is BCM4360 pCIe