Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi all, I am considering switching from Windows 10 to a Linux build.

Windows 10 has been a nightmare ever since I updated to it. I've always been interested in switching to Linux and I had even installed it a few times, but never switched over completely as I had a lot of files and software that I didn't feel like reinstalling at the time. It probably didn't help that I had awful internet last time that I tried.

After seeing a BSOD every morning for 3 days straight because of windows automatically putting out a broken update, I had to change some settings so that I wouldn't receive the update. I feel like windows is just bogged down by all of the needless stuff they force on their users.

I use steam and about a third of my games will work natively on Linux. I have read that wine works, but it doesn't perform as well as being on Windows. How much of a difference in performance is there?

I have a 780 ti, does geforce have any native software such as the geforce experience? I've read it is easy to upgrade your drivers in Ubuntu, but I liked having the extra features that it added, but I've seen other screen recording software so I might not need it.

I also use a lot of productivity apps like Unity, photoshop, maya, and others similar to these. Do any of these work natively or will I need to use wine for these as well?

Is there drivers for Wacom tablets?

I've looked up Unity for Linux and people say there are native installs for Linux, but when I checked Unity's website, I could not find them.

I have looked through tons of builds and I am not sure which one to go with. I want one that is beginner friendly, but will also let me take control of my system once I become more advanced with the OS.

I checked using the new user guide on distrowatch.

Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint all seem really good, but I am just not sure which one I would want to use.

Hopefully I didn't ask a lot of redundant questions.
    Any advice you can give helps. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by OwnedbyCow; 03-13-2018 at 03:42 PM.

To be honest, if you must run Windows applications - you're better off staying with Windows. The "emulators" will let you run some things but they will not be as responsive as under Windows and not everything will run correctly. There are equivalent apps for most Windows programs but they are not exactly the same.

Linux has good nvidia driver support in most distros but the Win specific stuff like GEForce Experience is absent to the best of my knowledge.

I stayed with Win 7 to avoid the crap that is Win 10 and I dual boot...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

WINE doesn't work with new games, and works decently with some older (not old) games, for example FO3. You need to search the website to see if the game you like works well or not.

You don't want to use Fedora since installing propietary drivers is harder, and Ubuntu and Mint both have GUI utilities that do it for you.

Steam is only officially supported in Ubuntu I think, so I'd stick with that (or Ming of course).

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    "My common sense is tingling."

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Hi all, I am considering switching from Windows 10 to a Linux build.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyCow View Post
    Windows 10 has been a nightmare ever since I updated to it. I've always been interested in switching to Linux and I had even installed it a few times, but never switched over completely as I had a lot of files and software that I didn't feel like reinstalling at the time. It probably didn't help that I had awful internet last time that I tried.

After seeing a BSOD every morning for 3 days straight because of windows automatically putting out a broken update, I had to change some settings so that I wouldn't receive the update. I feel like windows is just bogged down by all of the needless stuff they force on their users.

I use steam and about a third of my games will work natively on Linux. I have read that wine works, but it doesn't perform as well as being on Windows. How much of a difference in performance is there?

I have a 780 ti, does geforce have any native software such as the geforce experience? I've read it is easy to upgrade your drivers in Ubuntu, but I liked having the extra features that it added, but I've seen other screen recording software so I might not need it.

I also use a lot of productivity apps like Unity, photoshop, maya, and others similar to these. Do any of these work natively or will I need to use wine for these as well?

Is there drivers for Wacom tablets?

I've looked up Unity for Linux and people say there are native installs for Linux, but when I checked Unity's website, I could not find them.

I have looked through tons of builds and I am not sure which one to go with. I want one that is beginner friendly, but will also let me take control of my system once I become more advanced with the OS.

I checked using the new user guide on distrowatch.

Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint all seem really good, but I am just not sure which one I would want to use.

Hopefully I didn't ask a lot of redundant questions.
    Any advice you can give helps. Thank you for your time.
    1) i only play dota 2 on my notebook and it works fine. I get about 110FPS on W10 and 117FPS on Linux (i7 6xxx, GTX 950M).

2) I've never used it, but I remember that there is some Wacom Driver... you should not have any kind of problem.

3) I can suggest you to start with Ubuntu or Kubuntu (take a look in YouTube about what's the best Desktop Enviroment for you). *buntu are really easy distros and they require no configuration in most of the cases.

4) yes, there is a Nvidia software to manage the GPU and see some statistics like the temperature.

5) the switch to Linux may be something difficult in some cases, but keep trying and you'll find all the solutions. Ask here if you have any problem

^ nice.
    with ubuntu the rabbit hole won't go very deep... but it's a start for sure.

If I may offer some thoughts to op:
    the key to happiness with gnu/linux is to enjoy what is possible with it, and not to get frustrated about what is not possible.
    also it requires a shift in perception - windows users often have an application-centric perception: "i need an application for linux that does exactly what appX does on windows" - yet more often than not the answer will be: "what you want can be achieved 100%, but you need to run several commands..."
    Tapatalk: Kill it with fire!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

I guess with Ubuntu can dig as much as you can, although it may be hard carrying all that bloatware on the way down...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    "My common sense is tingling."

EQUIVALENTS:
    Photoshop - GIMP, and there's also Krita.
    Maya - has a Linux version, and Blender is also available and free!

I saw this regarding Unity:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unit...issues.350256/

Go to the last post.