Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Ecot leftovers

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ecot leftovers

In Ohio there was this online school called ECOT (Electronic classroom of Tomorrow) They lied to the State of Ohio about there attendance and owe the state serious money. They are out of business now and a judge ruled a few weeks ago that reclaiming all the school computers was too expensive , so we get to keep the one my daughter was using. It's just a work station and it doesn't have a Windows OS key. I thought this would be a great computer to put Linux on. I don't know anything about Linux except it's free and it works really well. I would love to run Steam on the computer and Chrome, so where do I start?'

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipDaSpace View Post
    In Ohio there was this online school called ECOT (Electronic classroom of Tomorrow) They lied to the State of Ohio about there attendance and owe the state serious money. They are out of business now and a judge ruled a few weeks ago that reclaiming all the school computers was too expensive , so we get to keep the one my daughter was using. It's just a work station and it doesn't have a Windows OS key. I thought this would be a great computer to put Linux on. I don't know anything about Linux except it's free and it works really well. I would love to run Steam on the computer and Chrome, so where do I start?'

Thanks in advance
    Ubuntu is a great learner linux Os.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    i strongly recommend sticking to major distributions:
    https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

just go to the distro's website and find out how to put it on a USB stick.
    boot from that, open a terminal, enter this:
    Code:
    lshw
    lspci -k
    and post the output here, between code tags.

this is so we can make better recommendations.

Choosing a distro is confusing for a newcomer. For this very reason I made a single suggestion. Linux is free after all and trying does not harm anyone.

Ubuntu and Mint seem to be the top two. I'm not sure what to go with. Mint seems to be newer.

Linux User
    I don't know what you mean by newer, but Ubuntu is more bleeding edge. Maybe I'm wrong but Mint builds on top of LTS releases of Ubuntu, so Ubuntu has newer versions of software and kernel.

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipDaSpace View Post
    Ubuntu and Mint seem to be the top two. I'm not sure what to go with. Mint seems to be newer.
    newer?
    all those distros are under development. otherwise no-one would reommend or even use them.
    that's a given.
    i repeat: at this point it hardly matters. just "burn" one to a usb stick and take it for a test drive.
    then you can post that info if you want.
    of course you could also just tell us more about your computer's specs.