Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lubuntu CD Questions ?

Hello again,

Have pretty much decided on learning Lubuntu.
    Have a several year old pc running W7.

Seems like OSDisc is the (only ?) place to go to get a CD for.
    Certainly cheap enough.

Am worried about messing up my W7 OS presently on my
    pc, but a previous reply said to just run it off of a CD.

The CD I would buy says: "Install/Live"

Does this mean that I can run Lubuntu (live) fully
    off of the CD, and not have to worry at all
    re W7 OS on the pc ?

BTW: what's the latest version ?

Any advantage to getting it on the USB stick instead ?

Any caveats or anything else I should be asking about
    using these for the first time ?

And, would like to get a book on Lubuntu, but cannot find any
    specific to it.
    Are there any other Unix books for beginners that go into Lubuntu at all, or would help me in learning it, even though perhaps not specific to it ?

Thanks again,
    Bob

Almost all distros boot to a live version or you can boot to the installer. If you boot the live version, no changes are made to your hard drive. I haven't run off a CD/DVD in years as a USB stick is just plain faster. Again, it's easy to download Lubuntu and make your own USB stick, download a Windows program called "Rufus" and it will write the ISO file to a USB stick.

The are about a bazillion links on Google if you search for "make a bootable thumb drive".

Lubuntu has a menu in the lower left corner just like Windows and the best way to learn is just to use it.

The Buntu distros release a new version about every 6 months and a long term support release every 2 years. The next LTS release is due to be out in April.

I personally run MX Linux and I find it superior to Lubuntu and it has a great forum if you need support and help...

https://mxlinux.org/
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Linux User
    There won't be any books on Lubuntu only. Maybe on Ubuntu, which is essentially the same with a different DE.

Everything you need is online though.

If you are really interested in learning Linux, learn the basics commands, the filesystem structure and the most relevant configuration files, then install Arch or another "advanced" distribution, and you'll learn more than in any single book.

Ubuntu, MX, Mint, Manjaro,etc. Are not the best ones to learn. They come with too many GUI tools to do the configurations for you. And if you don't like the bloat you'll hate them, like I do.

I learned a lot from installing Arch and using it, and all from the wiki. Even the most important commands are explained.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    CarterCox: Was Arch the first Linux you installed and used?

Most folks need to start with something a tad friendlier and less daunting. I was writing 8088 assembly and C in the mid-80s and I do not dislike anything that makes life easier. Telling someone to jump straight into Arch or Gentoo is not doing them any favors.

Remember, most Windows users have never even installed an OS as it came pre-installed on their hardware. Most newcomers just want to be able to run the same type of programs they ran in Windows...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Linux User
    Oh no. I told him to learn the basics commands, the file system and the most influential files. Once you know that there is not much else you won't learn following the Arch installing guide and the "General Recommendations" article.

You'll learn package management, system services control, Xorg, DMs, Power Management, Sound, Networking, Security, Performance, and many many other things.

It was not the first one I installed, that's true, but because I had the mentality that it was better than Windows and could run any app like Windows, and mostly just try something new. I installed Ubuntu a few times but I learnt literally nothing about Linux, so that experience didn't contribute at all. The OP's mentality seems totally different. He wants to learn straight up. I didn't. All it took me to install Arch was knowing ls, cp, cd, nano, tab-completion, and not much else (people say it's difficult because they don't see a GUI and freak out). In fact Gentoo was the same. I learned everything else on the installation guide by using "man", Google and the Handbook! I literally learned mount, mkfs, grub commands, the existence of other bootloaders, the use of fstab, initramfs, network management, and a lot of other stuff I can't even remember from the single experience of installing Arch. That's only a few weeks ago.

Just remember to run "man " to understand the reason of what you are doing and maybe to improve the outcome.

Edit: now that I think about it, I installed Arch, Cinnamon, and literally wiped and installed Gentoo. There is a thread in this forum that proves it!!

Linux User
    Ok I just read the other thread he made, and probably you are right. I knew plenty about computers before installing, and he obviously doesn't. Maybe Arch isn't such a bright idea after all. However, I don't think Ubuntu will help either. His problem is not being new to Linux, but to computers.

Maybe I'm dead wrong but that's the impression I got from his first thread.

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    people say it's difficult because they don't see a GUI and freak out
    this.
    it's all plain english, but somehow many users lose their ability to read when it's not packed in nice graphical boxes.