Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do I rescue a USB drive...

I installed Elementary OS and tried out.
    Yuk, I really didn't like.

Now I can't see the drive.
    I've tried Windows Disk Manager. It sees the drive, but I can't do anything with it. I can't format or remove or do anything else.

I've tried using Yumi. It doesn't see it.

Etcher does see it. I'm now burning Cent OS onto it to give it a try.

But... when done... how do I get the USB stick back so I can use again?

Thanks.

Connect it to the computer, find out the name using 'lsblk', then run
    Code:
    # parted /dev/sdX
    , then type:
    Code:
    mklabel msdos
    quit
    "My common sense is tingling."

Quote Originally Posted by enginestar View Post
    I installed Elementary OS and tried out.
    Yuk, I really didn't like.

Now I can't see the drive.
    I've tried Windows Disk Manager. It sees the drive, but I can't do anything with it. I can't format or remove or do anything else.

I've tried using Yumi. It doesn't see it.

Etcher does see it. I'm now burning Cent OS onto it to give it a try.

But... when done... how do I get the USB stick back so I can use again?

Thanks.
    and now your going to load centos? something designed for SERVERS, and something that by default doesnt have a GUI installed? be sure to come back and whinge about not having a gui like you did in your other thread. windows WILL NOT work with linux partitions so thats why it cant 'see" your drive. etcher is a burn utility, which is why it DOES. when your done loading and whining about centos not having a gui, or most of your hardware not working (because servers dont have things like sound and wifi do they?), you can format it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    @habit no GUI?
    thanks for the heads up
    i knew it was for servers
    i actually need to learn centOS because i need to manage VPS
    but wont bother loading up in no GUI

i wanted to try out many different OS to experience the GUI and then choose something to go with.

what other GUI linux would you recommend?

how do i get the USB stick back from within windows?

@CarterCox i need to be in linux to run the commands you mentioned? won't it be a problem running from the same linux that is the same same USB stick?

let me know.

thanks.

Ok. Where do I start...

I'm actually using Arch Linux to host my web site right now.

If you want to test different "GUIs" (actually called Desktop Environments), Arch Linux is an excellent way to do that. It supports a ton of DEs and you can easily change between all of them, unlike other distributions like Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, and basically every distribution, except Debian.

The thing is, you seem like a total noob. You should take some time to learn the basics commands (parted and lsblk are pretty freaking basic). Read a book, tutorials, etc. There is an awesome book that has a TON of stuff called "The Linux Bible". That's the one I used to get started, and often I go back to it to get some information.

If you want to "recover" the flash drive from Windows, install MiniTool Partition Wizard. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.
    "My common sense is tingling."

Linux Guru
    Original question: I like to use gparted (the software, not the distro) to format (USB) drives.

distro choice: go here and make up your own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by enginestar View Post
    @habit no GUI?
    thanks for the heads up
    i knew it was for servers
    i actually need to learn centOS because i need to manage VPS
    but wont bother loading up in no GUI
    your going to manage vps servers, and cant figure out how to load linux, and cant work without a gui?
    i wanted to try out many different OS to experience the GUI and then choose something to go with.

what other GUI linux would you recommend?
    lots of options, and there are LOTS OF GUIS, right? and ANY of the guis work on ANY of the linux flavors. the two are separate. kde gnome lxde icewm enlightenment and there are others. all look and behave different, pick one.
    how do i get the USB stick back from within windows?
    FORMAT IT. windows should whine about it not being readable.

@CarterCox i need to be in linux to run the commands you mentioned? won't it be a problem running from the same linux that is the same same USB stick?

let me know.

thanks.
    you asked linux questions on a linux forum and got commands to run. since those are linux commands youd obviously need to be in linux wouldnt you? and if your booted from that stick and you ERASE IT, what do you think would happen to ANY computer running any os if you just yanked the drive out?