Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Right-click menus in system tray not working.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I is still ignerant, so perhaps this is where I ought to be.

When I right-click on any of the items in my system tray, the menus that appear do not work - they appear all right, but nothing happens when I click on any of the items.

I only noticed this last night while trying to install RSIBreak, and can't say how long it's been going on since I don't often have cause to use those menus, but I think it's probably a recent phenomenon - I definitely have used those menus in the past.

I'm using Zorin 9 Core, which is based on Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. I know that that's an old version, but there are good reasons why I can't upgrade right now, until some health issues I'm having improve.

Is this a known issue with Ubuntu Trusty, by any chance? Anyone know what might be causing it or how to fix it or get around it? RSIBreak isn't really usable unless I can use those menus, and neither are the other programs I tried as alternatives, and I could really do with having it.

Thanks,
    Wombat140

Linux User
    Trusty Tahr is still supported, so that shouldn't be an issue.

If you uninstall the application, does the problem get solved? Any errors in your journal or systemd?

Will get back to you. Forgot to test a couple of things.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No luck - I've now tried uninstalling RSIBreak, and even restoring from my Timeshift backup, but I'm afraid it didn't work. Also, after that, installed the latest lot of updates which I hadn't got around to, in case it was a bug and they'd fixed it again by now. No luck. So I'm thinking it is Ubuntu (or Zorin, but I don't remember seeing any updates that said "Zorin" lately, only "Ubuntu base") and they have broken something. Is there anywhere you can file bug reports?
    Thanks very much for the reply.

Linux User
    Did you check your journal and systemd or not?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot about that bit. I'm afraid I don't know what those are. (I tried banging the words into the start menu search box, and into the terminal, but didn't get any results from either.) If you'll please explain where to look then I'll tell you what they say.

Linux User
    Next time, bang the words in Google

Try
    Code:
    $ systemctl --failed
    $ sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb
    And paste the output.

Excuse me? Since when do we use Google? (Must remember, though, that searching for Linux things is usually dead easy because putting the word "Linux" in the search usually narrows it down to what you're after all by itself. The one redeeming feature of Linux if you're clueless. Although "Linux journal" was still a dud, there being, apparently, a blog called Linux Journal.)

Anyway, result is:
    Code:
    systemctl: command not found
    sudo: journalctl: command not found
    Sorry. Any point in trying to find and install these things now, or is it not that kind of thing? (Would depend whether we're looking for errors now or errors when those programs were installed, too.) Or is there likely to be some other command along those lines my computer has if it doesn't have those?

Linux User
    Those commands should work... Zorin is Ubuntu and Debian based...

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Gett..._system_status

https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/s...lctl.1.en.html

Maybe Zorin changes the commands?

I know Debian uses mkinitramfs while, for example, Arch uses mkinitcpio. But this commands should be the same.

I don't know why they don't work.

systemctl should work as it is part of systemd. Try
    Code:
    apt search systemctl
    and paste the output.

If that doesn't spit anything I don't know what you can do.

Linux stores systemwide settings in /etc and user settings in his/her home directory. If there is anything weird going on the first thing to try is creating a test user and checking if the problem persists. Often it is careless running of sudo which may change some permissions in users home, causing all kind of weird issues. In this case just running chown recursively on home directory will fix it.