Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How can i connect two machines in linux??. I mean a home ethernet network between two machines point to point?? What should i do with the ip numbers?? How can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Zig
    Just Joined!

newbie network question

How can i connect two machines in linux??. I mean a home ethernet network between two machines point to point?? What should i do with the ip numbers?? How can i "see" the other machine, should i mount something?? Can i share files between linux and windows??

And for more than 2 PC's??

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Connect them with a crossover cable and assign each one internal ips on the same subnet. You can use samba to share files between linux and windows. As for linux to linux, there is many options like nfs, openafs, coda, intermezzo, ect. For more then 2 machines you will need a hub, switch, or possibly setup a token ring.

Linux Newbie
    You can buy a switch for next to nothing so get that instead of a nasty hub. As for your network numbering, use the private ip address range. You can read the rfc or just use the follwing range 192.168/16 (subneted any which way you like ).

Genlee -
    Why would he want to setup a token ring network ? Token ring is a dead technology, I have only ever seen it once in use. Ethernet is by far the most popular and commonly used lan protocol.

Linux Engineer
    Because setting up a token ring would be a great learning experience and I see token rings used often actually. I don't see how you can say token ring is a dead technology though. FDDI is based off of it and I don't see that going away anytime in the near future.

Linux Newbie
    Even with 10Gb ethernet on the horizon ?

Linux Engineer
    We won't see 10GB ethernet in awhile and I still don't see that replacing fiber yet. Plus it would be cheaper to use fiber instead of ethernet over long distances. Ethernet is great on a lan but I wouldn't use it for a wan.

Linux Newbie
    Ethernet can use fiber as its media, but is most commonly seen only on cat 4/5/6 cabling.
    I think the standard is called 100baseFX. I have used it before.

Linux Engineer
    I know ethernet can use fiber but it is still not ideal for a wan because of its distance limitations. FDDI has a guaranteed response time, larger frames, and scales much better with a high load then ethernet. Ethernet has its place in a lan because its easy and inexpensive to deploy but it does have it limitations which I don't think we will see it used for a wan anytime soon. Even with 10GB ethernet, I am sure the max distance is 40Km compared to fddi which is 200Km(i think these distances are right, i am trying to remember them from my networking class).

Zig
    Just Joined!
    Once i set the same submask to the machines and the ip numbers. How can i activate the net and how i "see" other machines files??

Does anyone know any good tutorial about this??

Linux Engineer
    http://www.tldp.org has howtos there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast