Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! I've got a broadband ADSL via ethernet connection (modem is Ericsson HM220dp) and I'm running a dual boot with Win2k and Debian. The problem is when I've been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dualboot W2k, Debian -> Internet doesn't work with Debian

Hi there!

I've got a broadband ADSL via ethernet connection (modem is Ericsson HM220dp) and I'm running a dual boot with Win2k and Debian. The problem is when I've been on the internet with W2k, and reboots my computer into linux: the internet doesn't work! Before, I only ran Debian and it worked nice - so I conclude Windows must be the cause of this Additionally, I found out that the internet actually DOES work in linux! But only after half an hour (I tried running ifconfig every 5 minutes while reading HOWTOs)

It seems that Windows drivers send some bad information to my modem, so it doesn't shut properly down or resets. I've been told that linux is capable of resetting the modem via some chat scripts....I'm totally lost (even after consulting several HOWTOs) What do I do to get it to work??

I'm tired of waiting half an hour for the internet in linux. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Linux Engineer
    Are you saying that your computer can't access the internet after you configured you pc to perform a dual boot? I'm running Win2K and Debian just fine on my machine.
    I guess the biggest problem here is ADSL. Do you have a physical cable modem with a wire that plugs into your NIC card? As long as you use DHCP in both pcs, I don't see why you should have a problem.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Yes, I'm saying that my computer can't access the internet after I configured my only pc to perform a dual boot. I do have a cable modem that plugs into my NIC card...AND both W2k (which works with internet) and Debian are configured with DHCP...just like you.....

I think the difference and the problem is that we've got different hardware / modems....perhaps it is the windows network drivers.....

thanks anyway

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I know that problem; my friend has the same problem with his ISP. You see, Windows (any version) doesn't send a DHCPRELEASE request when it exits, so your IP address never gets freed from your ISP's DHCP servers. And that is probably where your ISPs differ:
    While bpark's ISP probably allows him to get a new IP address just like that, schnimon's ISP won't give him a new IP address without him having released his old one first (or before the timeout of half an hour expires). Try running "ipconfig /release" (I think... I don't deal much with Windoze nowadays) before you exit Winows to release your IP address before you boot Linux. Then your ISP will give you a new one.

So problem isn't with your modem, but with the ISP's DHCP server. And since it will only respond to requests from the right IP address, the only way to fix it is from Windoze.

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot Dolda2000! You really are an expert !

I typed "ipconfig /release" in my Windows command prompt and rebooted into linux and it WORKED! I'd never figured it out myself....Thanks again!

Now, my next quest is to get this command integrated to the shutdown process, so that I doesn't need to type this every time I shut Windows down...

Any suggestions on that?

Linux Engineer
    I suppose you need to find a file that runs during the shutdown process. I'm no Windows2000 expert so that's all that I can say about the problem.

Linux Guru
    I actually don't think that W2K has anything to do that. I'm not sure, though. If I were you, I would write a Windows program that sits in the background all the time doing nothing, and when it receives a logout WM from Windows, it starts ipconfig /release before logging out. That requires both that you have MSVC and that you can program, though.

Just Joined!
    I'm learning C++ right at the moment. In September I'll begin studying advanced computer science at university....I think I will be capable of writing a program like this in the future....

Thanks a lot to both of you

Linux Engineer
    schnimon,

The script really won't be hard at all. All it needs is to execute "ipconfig /release." The only reason why you might think you can't write it is because you don't know how Windows 2000 works internally. Heck, it can even be a batch file for all I care.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, it could, but that requires that you find a way of making Windows execute it at shutdown. Now, I'm no Windows expert anymore, but I don't know of any such facility in Windows.