Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i got a RH8 linux with vsftpd running... switched 100MBit fd network, but my transfer speed for FTP is about 16-18kilo/sec... i suspect windows xp with its still-not-fine network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network speed / linux-windows

Hi,

i got a RH8 linux with vsftpd running... switched 100MBit fd network, but my transfer speed for FTP is about 16-18kilo/sec...

i suspect windows xp with its still-not-fine network code to be responsible, but that cant be it... anyone got any idea i might try to get fullspeed in lan? is the linux router (dsl1500) messing up the mtu settings and decreasing speed?

Linux Guru
    Have you tried transferring to and from other computers?

Just Joined!
    well.. i didnt try my fathers laptop yet, because it isnt at home... but i got ftp servers on both of my machines and tried downloading from the linux server. i also tried logging onto linux via ssh und uploading to the windows ftp server, transfer speed remains the same...

vsftpd blocks server-to-server-transfers... so in my nimble opinion i tried everything...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Have you monitored cpu utilization on both machines while transferring?

Just Joined!
    i dont know what made the difference, but i just came back from the cinema (LotR: TT just rocks ), restarted the linux box and i got full speed back

i didnt change anything... i restarted the box sometimes before and the transfer remained slow, looks like i had to ask for some help and make myself look stupid now, to get this back going, but i have to say it was worth it.

Just Joined!
    wtf?

some 15 minutes after every reboot the transfer speed drops back to 14-18kilobytes/sec again... rebooted - transfer at full speed for 15-20 minutes, afterwards until next reboot 14-18kilobytes/sec

did i already mention, that i really hate the windows network (tcp/ip) implentation...?

Linux Guru
    Are there any messages logged after this 15-20 minutes timespan? What network card are you using, and what driver are you using for it? I'm suspecting that it might be that the driver puts the card into some power saving mode or something and forgets to pull it out of it. Can it be fixed by unloading and reloading the driver?

Just Joined!
    1. how do i see logged messages on the linux box? i have an ssh root console, but local access requires some work (getting my monitor down in the cellar...)
    2. network cards are in both pcs d-link dfe-530tx ... under windows i got a d-link driver, redhat (suse as well) detect the card as "VIA rhine"... i might try changing the NIC in the server... wanted to do anyway... i think i'll do that tomorrow... and with that i'll upgrade the box to tbird 1400 and 1gb ram... and finally change the f***ing ibm harddiscs against WDs.

Linux User
    tail /var/log/messages

top see recent messages...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.