Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I was wondering about the pros and cons of using xinetd. I am not sure if I understand it correctly but I believe it is used to start services. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Understanding Xinetd

Hi,

I was wondering about the pros and cons of using xinetd. I am not sure if I understand it correctly but I believe it is used to start services. Why would I use xinetd instead of runlevels? Are runlevels limited to a select choice of services?

For example, I want to start telnet and ftp on my red hat box. I did not see an option under the runlevels. Does this mean that xinetd,inetd or a startup script is my only option.

I have been told once that you are better off not using inetd(this was related to Freebsd). I had a look at the man pages and xinetd.org but it is not totally clear yet

cheers

Linux Guru
    You've got it all the wrong way. Xinetd isn't really related to services in that way.
    This is what xinetd does: It listens to ports, and when a connection comes in, it starts the actual daemon that handles the protocol and passes the network socket to it. The alternative is having a listening daemon for each of these protocols, ie. one daemon for telnet, one for ftp, one for pop3, one for rdate, etc. Xinetd provides a way to only have one process running to listen for connections. There are no cons of using it.

Thanks Dolda,

So this is not using any resources until someone asks for the services. For example, sshd is enabled to start at boot time. I don't think it will use much resources but why is it that a daemon like sshd or any other one does not use xinetd instead.
    I guess this might be a useless question, I would just like to know the reasoning behind it.

Linux Guru
    For an explanation of why sshd doesn't use inetd or xinetd, see the sshd manpage and look up the -i option.