Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recompiled kernel ok, I think, but when I reboot, I get 462 lines of of "depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in xxx " where xxx is a module name. Here's what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

depmod : *** Unresolved symbols in...

Recompiled kernel ok, I think, but when I reboot, I get 462 lines of of "depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in xxx" where xxx is a module name. Here's what I have done so far (in this order):
    Code:
    rpm -ivh kernel-2.2.14.src.rpm
    tar -xzvf kernel-2.2.14.tar.gz
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    make dep
    make clean
    make modules
    make modules_install
    I have done this several times...somtimes I get an error message from make telling me that my current config does not have modules enabled, but it does; I double checked and then manually checked .config to be sure. If I rerun menuconfig, even without changing anything, then I can make modules, but I still get the "unresolved symbols" error. I skimmed the kernel-HOWTO at tldp, but didn't notice anything like this. Ideas?

Linux Guru
    RedHat kernel sources sometimes have flaws that prevent them from compiling properly. Try downloading a vanilla kernel from kernel.org instead.

Just Joined!
    Well, I finally got it to work. I did:
    Code:

make menuconfig
    make dep
    make modules
    make modules_install
    make bzlilo
    Notice I skipped make clean.

I was also having problems compiling a net driver from Via. I read the Makefile for the driver and noticed that the path pointing to the kernel source was for a different version! I fixed that and it compiles, but gcc complains about "Undefined symbols" instead of depmod complaining about "Unresolved symbols." Oh well, it works...