Find the answer to your Linux question:
im new to this site and i like what i see. i just installed Red Hat 9 on my computer and im dual booting with XP on one hard drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

modem problems

im new to this site and i like what i see. i just installed Red Hat 9 on my computer and im dual booting with XP on one hard drive and Red Hat on the other.

the problem that im having is having Red Hat recognize my modem. now i've done my research and i've found that my modem is a win modem and i know thats bad news because most win modems wont work for linux. but i have heard there are sometimes drivers out there that can make your win modem work. these are the specs of my modem after i scanned it: ================================================== ===================
    = SYSTEM INFORMATION =
    ================================================== ===================
    Date : 6/25/2003
    ListMdm Ver : 1.6
    Windows OS : Microsoft Windows XP
    Build Number : 2600

= RESULT OF MODEM QUERY =
    NUMBER OF MODEMS FOUND = 1

MODEM #1:
    PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
    VENDOR ID : 14F1
    DEVICE ID : 1036
    SUBVENDOR ID : 13E0
    SUBDEVICE ID : 0209
    REVISION ID : 08

DEDUCED INFORMATION:
    VENDOR NAME : CONEXANT
    DEVICE NAME : HCF P85 DATA/FAX/REMOTETAM/SPEAKERPHONE
    SUBVENDOR NAME : GVC -- HTTP://WWW.GVC.CA
    MODEM TYPE : HCF
    WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT : YES
    __________________________________________________ ___________

i have found one site that did offer a driver "http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/" i download the driver and followed the info on how to install it but i got so confused cause im so new to linux.
    i would really like to get my modem to work so i wouldn't have to keep on going back and forth to OS so i can read stuff online.

if any one has some advice on how to make Red Hat recognize my modem or how to install the driver or any other sites, it would be very appreciated. sorry for the long post, thanks for your time.

this sounds like a LINMODEM question. I'm assuming that you have an internal (PCI) modem, much like the one I have.

Such modems are often called Winmodems, because a certain amount of the software to process the signal is actually supplied by the PC (running Windows, hence the name). These work with Linux, where they've been called LINMODEMs.

I have a Lucent chipped Linmodem and so have to install (I use Rehat Linux so I download the RPM version of the Linmodem driver) an LTMODEM driver (nb. I have to insdtall a new version of this whenever I upgrade the Kernel. They must match). This then creates a device called /dev/LTTY001 (or something like that. I'm not at my Linux PC at the moment to check for you) and it is this that I tell the Internet setup utility (which you'll find in either Gnome or KDE desktops) as the device to use as the modem (or, if you're a masochist, you can enter this into /etc/wvdial.conf). You can , if you wish, link the /dev/modem to the /dev/LTTY001 to save you doing this, as the utility 'knows' about the /dev/modem device.

In cas eyou haven't come across the idea of /dev/ devices. This is the way that Linux keeps track of external devices (screens, mouse, keyboard, hard-disk, modems, etc. etc.). These devices can be virtual or software devices as well as 'real' ones.

Don't worry if you're confused, you should find a README file with your modem driver which will tell you what to do. There are also quite a few web sites that'll take you through LINMODEMs.

have fun

Nerderello

just read the installation stuff on the http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/install.html site.

As it says, you first download the rpm file , then (as root / su ) you use the rpm -i command to install the driver, then you use the gui utility to setup your internet stuff, giving it the device name of /dev/ttySHCF0.

You can ignore the TAR stuff, as you're not using that sort of downloaded file.

If you decide to link the /dev/ttySHCF0 device with the /dev/modem device then you do 'ln -l /dev/modem /dev/ttySHCF0 , but this is NOT needed, if you use the /dev/ttySHCF0 name in the utility.

have fun

Nerderello