Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, all. I'm a total newbie linux user so I'll try to explain my problem the best I can. I'm using redhat 9, trying to install video drivers for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nvida driver, trouble installing

Hi, all.

I'm a total newbie linux user so I'll try to explain my problem the best I can.

I'm using redhat 9, trying to install video drivers for a geforce2 mmx generic video card trying to install "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run" driver. When I run the progrm I get the error " Unable to find kernel headers for the currently running kernel."

What I can't figure out is the actual name of the header file or I would search for it and add the path manually. I tried running "rpm kernel-source" a bunch of terminology I don't understand popped up so any help would be appreciated.

btw my eyes are in pain if I don't install better drivers I think I'll go blind.

Just Joined!
    Got it to work finally. Wow took all day.

I had to boot up with an older version of the kernal, cd to the directory typed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363 --kernel-include-path /usr/include

Started X then did the changes to the other files as suggested at the nvidia website restarted x again and viola hardware acceleration. Couldn't be any simpler.

I went to the nvidia forum and lots of peeps have trouble with the newest redhat kernal and that driver.

Linux Guru
    do they have docs on their site? could you post a link, i would love to take a look. Glad you got it sorted in the end, PS, welcome to the site

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    They have some docs. Here is the link to the driver I used the forum link is on the page. Thanks for the welcome. I haven't posted on many forums before but I'm learning they are a great wealth of information.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li..._ia32_1.0-4363

edit perhaps adding the link might help