Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm currently running XP home, and want to setup a dual boot between Linux and XP. I'm trying to decide what distro to get for Linux. Its really between Mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Converting to Linux - Which Distro?

I'm currently running XP home, and want to setup a dual boot between Linux and XP. I'm trying to decide what distro to get for Linux. Its really between Mandrake and RedHat at this point, I want an OS that has what I need out of the box, or EASILY UPGRADABLE. I understand installing things is a major pain in the ass in Linux.

Mandrake appeals to me because it seems more "Windows convert" friendly. It also seems to have alot more tutorials and support for new users and Windows converts. However, I'd have to download it or order it online when I build my new pc because none of the local stores have it.

RedHat seems to be the most popular and powerful, but im concerned about it's learning curve. I read the review at OSnews.com and they said RH9 doesnt come with MP3 or DVD support at all, you need to download it. The installation proccess seemed more complicated then editing the ******* windows registry. Then I hear about libs and glibs and all sorts of **** I don't understand. Why cant Linux use simple executables like Windows does, it really makes alot of sense.

I'm very PC literate (A+ certified) and am a quick learner, I wanted your opinions on what distro would be best for me to learn linux on. Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    If your a quick learner, then either distro should not be a problem for you.

I have 2 machines at home running Redhat, (1 using RH 8, dualbooting with XP, and another using RH 9). Redhat is IMO a good distro to get started with, it is fairly easy to use, and in a lot of cases, installing new software is as simple as downloading and double clicking (the windows way ). With all distros of Linux, installing things is a least slightly different from Windows, there is no install shield wizard to guide you through the installation process, this cannot be helped. Linux software doesnt usually come as a single executable, this is because each machine is unique in its own right, and typically, hardcore linux users like EXTREME control over the way a piece of software works, and how their system runs.

Redhat is good in the fact that it is simple to use, does work reasonably well, and you can use a GUI if you want, but the command line is not hidden either, so you can dabble with the hardcore stuff if you want

I have never tried Mandrake, so i cannot comment or provide any real comparison between that and Redhat.

Jason