Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am an absolute newbie. Can someone guide me on how to download and correctly install Mandrake to dual boot on my Windows XP Pro laptop. The machin has a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Download and install

I am an absolute newbie. Can someone guide me on how to download and correctly install Mandrake to dual boot on my Windows XP Pro laptop. The machin has a P4 @ 2ghz, 512mb RAM, and a 20gb hd.

Also if i could get some directions to where i can find some good beginner's documentation on the net.

Thank you all,

Just Joined!
    Hi Arunya,

I'm a newbie too but, I've done what you're asking (win XP and Mandrake 9.0). Go out to this link
    ( http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#iso ). Choose an appropriate download site, open the link and read the Readme file. It will give you instructions on how to burn the software as an ISO image. Here is an excerpt regarding how to do it in EZ CD Creator:

{
    With Easy CD Creator:
    --------------------
    Open Easy CD Creator
    Go to "File"
    then to "Create CD from disc image"
    make sure to change the bottom drop down menu ("Files of type:") to say
    "ISO image files"

It will do the rest after you browse to the *.iso file
    }

After you've burned the cd's (three of them) you put in disc one, reboot and it will boot to the Mandrake setup. which is very automated and will walk you through pretty much all of your questions.

Follow the instructions and it will install a default boot loader for you during the process. Make sure you don't write over your windows partition!

-Mike

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

:P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close