Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I really hate posting this because it is so thoroughly noobish...but when I installed Slackware, I installed the lilo to the "superdisk" portion or wutever of the partition where I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help booting....newb

I really hate posting this because it is so thoroughly noobish...but when I installed Slackware, I installed the lilo to the "superdisk" portion or wutever of the partition where I installed linux, problem is thats not my main HD, I run a 40gb and a 80gb and I installed the linux on the 80 gb, how do I get it so when I start up my computer I get the lilo menu and choose either win xp pro, or Linux? thanks a lot for your time and patience with a newb....

I'm assuming that at the moment your PC's BIOS is setup to boot from your 40gb (non Linux) hard disk.

Have you tried altering the boot sequence withing your BIOS (press Del during boot up, when you get the blue bios screen use your arrow keys to navigate around, I think it'll be in the first or second options. Change the boot order so that your PC looks at your floppy first (so you can always boot) followed by your Linux hard disk follwoed by your other hard disk). Hopefully this will allow your PC to see LILO (on the master boot record [mbr] of the Linux hard disk?) and then let you decide where to boot from. nb. as far as Linux is concerned the hard disk on your first ide cable is called /dev/hdan and the one on your second cable is called /dev/hdbn (where n is the partion number starting at 1).

hope this helps

Nerderello

oops slight mistake.

The IDE devices are, of course,

Fisrt device (hard disk or CDROM) on first cable - /dev/hda
    Second device (hard disk or CDROM) on first cable - /dev/hdb
    First device (hard disk or CDROM) on second cable - /dev/hdc
    Second device (hard disk or CDROM) on second cable - /dev/hdd

Although I note on my PC that the CDROM has been given the name /dev/drom which points at the device /dev/hdb .

Of course, none of this helps in the BIOS screens as they're often marked up in Windows/MS DOS fashion (A:. C: D: etc).

hace fun

Linux User
    Vengilyx,
    You have a couple of options.

1) Use the Linux boot floppy that you created when doing the installation. You did create one, right?!? Then, when you want Windoze, remove the floppy, when you want linux, boot from the floppy.

2) As Nerderello suggested, change the boot order in your bios to look at the slave drive before the master. Then lilo will come up. This is the method I chose.

3) If you can get into linux through one of the above methods, then create a copy of the boot sector (assumes /dev/hdb1) onto a floppy.
    Code:
    # /mnt/floppy
    # dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/mnt/floppy/boot.lin bs=512 count=1
    Then boot into Windoze, copy this file to C:\ and edit your boot.ini file by adding the following:
    Code:
    C:\boot.lin="Slackware"
    Be sure to also set the timeout value to anything greater than 0. This will then give you "Slackware" as an option in the Windows boot loader...

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for all your help, what I ended up doing was uninstalling linux, then reinstalling it but I installed lilo to my master boot record instead of my linux superdisk whatever the f**k the installation prog called it. but now my question is this....It boots to lilo but only gives me the option to boot into linux, and not windows xp, how do I add windows xp to that list...

Edited:flw

Linux Tip #42: Always check the sample .conf files.

Code:
    #
    # Yes, we run Windoze, too

other=/dev/hda1
    	label=win_2k
    	table=/dev/hda
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    um, thanks for the response and everything, but im pretty much a complete newb and I wouldnt have the slightest clue of where to put that

Linux User
    It would go in your lilo.conf file. And that should be found in your /etc directory....
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Copper Top,
    can I confirm (for my own information) whether or not you need to do something to re-load LILO with the new config? I ask, as I'm a GRUB user, which doesn't need this.

thanks

Nerderello

flw
    Linux Engineer
    The basic process is outlined in the following link: http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/viewtopic.php?t=359

Grub uses a very similar process and even some of the same files.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast