Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys, I am trying to get into the world of linux. I have an old box (AMD 333mhz, 128mb ram, 7gb hd, runs slow). I am looking for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro Help for newbie

Hey guys, I am trying to get into the world of linux. I have an old box (AMD 333mhz, 128mb ram, 7gb hd, runs slow). I am looking for a distro that I can use. I am mainly looking for a system that I can learn linux on. I would like to use X and xwindows, so I will be running VNC since I do not have another monitor.

Could someone recommend a distrobution that can run X windows on old hardware such as mine, and is able to run VNC without much problem? I wont be doing anything processer intensive, just browsing web, doing diff. commands, learning the system etc, installnig small programs, and learning admin functions. I want to eventually make my main machine linux, but I need to get used to it first .

I do have a working knowledge of computer systems, and networking, but I am a total n00b when it comes to linux. I have been doing research for several weeks on this operating system and would like to get started as soon as possible.

So, are there any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated.

-Thank you

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Most, if not all new version of linux still offer xwindows. I just installed Redhat 8.0 and it was there as a option. Not sure about 9.0 but since it is so widely used by different distro's, I would think support would still be there.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    I just recently started myself, and went with Redhat 9.0. Loving it so far!
    Check herefor hardware compatibility issues with your older machine.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply,. I think my hardware is compatible, I just dont want it to run like a grandma . I would like to browse the web , install things in a reasonable amount of time.

During my research, I have read that RH is bloated, is this true? Or is it that RH is the only one that fits my other requirements?

-Thank you

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    During my research, I have read that RH is bloated, is this true?
    Don't know how 'bloated' it is, but I'm running RH 9.0 on a 3GB drive. Just had to be a bit selective on what I chose to install and not to install...

Just Joined!
    by bloated I mean slow, because it runs a lot of services, etc.

I have the HD space, what I dont have is power

Linux Guru
    I installed RH 9 on a PC for a mate the other day, 400Mhz with 160GB ram.

Using KDE it was slow as a dog. KDE is a pretty intensive GUI, there are others that use less resources, such as enlightenment.

Eitherway, dont use KDE on a machine that slow :P

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I would agree that another gui would be better such as Gnome. KDE is a resource pig.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

i have rh9 running on a AMD K6 266 w/ 128mb ram and it actually runs pretty fast. i mean for how slow the computer is anyway. but it can do everything you want it to it jst takes a few more seconds of waiting but i like it. hope this helps
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

for what it's worth, I run RH9 on a 333 Celeron on a 2 GB hard disk and 192mb of RAM. I can't use KDE as it kills my poor little PC, but I quite like Gnome, which runs just fine.

I haven't noticed any performance issues since upgrading from RH8 to RH9, but I did when I went from RH7.3 to RH8 (7.3 was, I felt, faster the 8.0).

have fun

Nerderello

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast