Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello All, I'm completely new to the world of Linux. In fact, technically I don't even have it yet, but I'll be having it installed on my new gaming PC. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake, XP, and 2k

Hello All,

I'm completely new to the world of Linux. In fact, technically I don't even have it yet, but I'll be having it installed on my new gaming PC. I do have a question about a couple of things though. My roomie is running Win2k and has external DSL. A close friend(whose dad will be helping me build my PC) of ours has XP and will be coming over quite frequently for LAN parties. Should I get a DSL router for my computer or is there anyway to get ICS to work with Linux? Also is there any special things that need to be done to my Linux system so we can network the systems to play games over the network? (I've heard of Samba but really don't know what it does exactly) Oh I'll be using Mandrake Linux 9.1 (I guess) BTW and will be checking here chronicly for tips and tricks for Linux.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Yes, on one of the machines setup a proxy server and all machines go there for net access. Which ever one has the most cpu/ram would be the likely choice for the proxy.

If you want to share files etc... with the windoze machines you will need Samba (server) share setup.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    My linux system will have the highest cpu/ram of the three, so I guess that labels me the proxy server. Would a DSL router be a more convienient/easier way to do net sharing? I also have an Xbox, and there are a few games I want to play through Live. *checks Samba for need to get list*

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    The sharing is done starting with the dsl router which is usually on the same computer as the proxy server which would share its net connection with all other machines.

Your xbox may have to be hooked up to one of you windows machines. I'm not a gammer so I'll leave this to others here.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Alrighties, how much cpu/ram would the proxy server take up? I'll have a 2.8 with at least 512 RDRAM right off the bat. I've never setup a proxy server before, so I'll ask my friends dad about that one, how much would setting up a proxy server on a windows system vary to a linux syste?

Linux Guru
    Personally, i would choose a DSL router. Once you have configured it, you give the whole network internet access, even if your linux box, or any other ICS machine goes down.

For my home network, i use a NetScreen 5XP router, which is then connected to a 24 port hub. Alll my machines plug into the hub. This is great for me, because i could not always gaurentee that a PC doing ICS could be left turned on 24/7. www.jasonlambert.net/network.php

If you did decide to go down the ICS/Proxy route, you should not have a big performance issue depending on your configuration. The proxy server (not even really needed) would only take a couple of megs ram when idle, and possibly another meg or 2 when active and your Maxing your DSL connection. As this is a new PC, the performance hit should not be noticable.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Thanx for all of the input guys. I was really wanting to lean more toward the router because I don't want to leave my PC on all the time. (Can't sleep with any form of light on, not even the lime green "power light") Plus, I'd really love to play my Xbox through the router instead of networking it into a proxy or ICS. (Sucks I'm still supporting Micrsoft eh?) How much was your router Jag? I've heard that new hardware is a lil bit tougher to install on Linux, any problems in setting yours up?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Well I have a slightly different experience. We run squid for a proxy on a P166 with 32 megs of ram for over 200 users off a T-1 line and it run as fast as the pipe. Just depend on how you use it guess. Its also dedicated machine.
    Dan

Just Joined!
    Wow! Now that's a server with some speed! The other computers at my house will be able to use the router because it will stay online. Plus I'll have a spot to plug in the Xbox without futzing with too much stuff. *runs off to price good dsl router* Thanks again for all the replies I'm :drown: in information

Linux Guru
    The netscreen retail price is around 400 i believe.

The netscreen has 2 interfaces, trusted and untrusted, both are RJ-45 Ethernet, so really it is only suitable for business application, or for use with a cable ISP that utilises RJ-45, as opposed to BT for example using RJ-11 connections.

The router was a pain in the arse to get to work with NTL due to the routing policy on the device. I ended up having to spoof the mac address of the untrusted interface using my network card in my laptop to get the mac address registered correctly with NTL's service. Bloody nightmare, took me 2 days to figure out that was the solution after trying every thing else i could think of.

For linux compatibility, all i needed was to get a network card working in my linux machines, and that was no problem at all.

its just a case then of configuring the network and your laughing.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast