Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Kriss how could Slackware be the best if a new user couldn't even install it to a functional state? Keping in mind most new linux users are coming from Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Kriss how could Slackware be the best if a new user couldn't even install it to a functional state? Keping in mind most new linux users are coming from Windows with a Windows concept of installing and configuring OS's.

This is the newbie forum
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Redhat 9 has been working great for me to cut my teeth on...

Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Kriss how could Slackware be the best if a new user couldn't even install it to a functional state? Keping in mind most new linux users are coming from Windows with a Windows concept of installing and configuring OS's.

This is the newbie forum
    Well the install-process is very good documented. Check google. I find installing veay easy. Just partition with cfdisk, type setup choose to install fromm cdrom and full install, and Slackware install itself completly.

What bether way to learn GNU/Linux is there than trying out Slackware? A distro who don't do everything for you, so the user have to read manuals. And learn. And in ex. Redhat, would do this automagically for you. No fun at all.

Good Luck

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Maybe the differences you point out are the ones between a distro to start on verse one you may or may not choose to use when you are more comfortable with linux.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

well i think you should start out in like redhat or mandrake and when you get enough experience and feel you can move on. then maybe step up to slackware or the other distros out there. when i tryed installing slackware i couldnt get it to run right but i am a linux nOOb so i really dont know that much about like and what it takes to run it.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    I'm not new to linux. I wasn't to bad with it a year to go. I just forgot it all! So installing it wasn't a problem at all. very easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2