Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am in need of a Stable ATA RAID card for a mission critical server and would like to know what the best brand/models are. Thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

In need of stable RAID card

I am in need of a Stable ATA RAID card for a mission critical server and would like to know what the best brand/models are. Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    I have used promise cards without any problems.

Just Joined!
    Which distro and version are you using? I guess I should have said that I needed it to run in Red Hat 9.0

Linux Engineer
    I have used their cards on gentoo and redhat 7.3 servers.

Just Joined!
    do you think a card that has 8.0 drivers will work in 9.0? I've found a promise card (sx6000) that has an 8.0 driver upgrade.

Linux Guru
    I'd suggest downloading and recompiling the kernel after you've installed Linux on the server. Not only can you trim it to your server, but you can also include the new PDC (the chipset that Promise cards use) driver to support the cards.

Just Joined!
    I was kinda hoping for out of the box compatibility, as time is of the escence (sp?).

Linux Guru
    The thing is that I don't know if the RH9 stock kernels come with PDC support. I guess that they should, but I'm not sure. In any case I don't think that there should be any need to upgrade the driver if RH9 does include it; the default Linux driver should work well with any Promise card.
    You might still want to download Linux 2.4.21 at your earliest convience to get the latest driver, though.
    In any case, it shouldn't be too hard for you to have a kernel pre-compiled and ready, so that you can just replace the stock kernel as soon as you have set the server up.

Btw., it's spelled essence.

Just Joined!
    Ok, that answers my question. Thanks!