Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by genlee yes I did not have portmap on NFS client. So, I just copied the binary from the server and ran it. Also on the NFS server, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

It worked

Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    yes
    I did not have portmap on NFS client. So, I just copied the binary from the server and ran it.

Also on the NFS server, I ran portmap and restarted the nfs.

nfs client> time mount -a

real 0m3.058s
    user 0m0.000s
    sys 0m0.010s

Thats a reduction of 99% in mount time. Another thing to note is that I am still using the same versions of mount/nfs as before. So, the portmap solution is what makes it work even though nfs versions could be different.

Thanks a lot to the gurus - Dolda2000 and genlee

Linux Guru
    I find this very strange. Doesn't SuSE force you to run the portmapper if you are to mount NFS shares? I would have thought that it would be required in order to install the other NFS client tools.

Just Joined!
    Heres what I found in the logs " Mounting local filesystems: mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send"

This needs portmapper when it is trying to load everything in /etc/fstab but when i do it manually, it does not fail but takes long. This maybe because it does its own "portmapping" when I do manual mount whereas during system bootup it does not have time for that and just fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    I find this very strange. Doesn't SuSE force you to run the portmapper if you are to mount NFS shares? I would have thought that it would be required in order to install the other NFS client tools.
    Yes, it needs portmapper while doing remote nfs mount at boottime.

Linux Guru
    That wasn't really what I meant. What I thought was that SuSE would automatically try to start the portmapper if you were to try to mount an NFS volume. I'm especially surprised that it wasn't installed by default.
    Hasn't it complained about it before, except in the logs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2