Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have two machines A(x.x.x.69) and B(x.x.x.70). I have to mount a directory from Machine B onto A. The problem is that the mount takes 5-10 minutes to finish. FYI, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NFS Mount takes 6-10 minutes

I have two machines A(x.x.x.69) and B(x.x.x.70). I have to mount a directory from Machine B onto A. The problem is that the mount takes 5-10 minutes to finish. FYI, both machines are able to ping each other both by IPaddress and also hostname (both long and short). Machine B has nfsd and mountd already running and these daemons are not started by xinetd or something

Here are relevant entries from the machines

1) Machine A - /etc/fstab entry
    x.x.x.70:/path/from/B /path/at/A nfs auto,rw

2) Machine B - /etc/export
    /path/from/B x.x.x.69(rw,no_root_squash)

Any help is appreciated.

My guess is that they are using diff. versions of nfs coz. Machine A's /var/log/messages is full of "(standard input):131182:Jul 1 16:00:12 xxx kernel: nfs warning: mount version older than kernel" messages.

How can I find the nfs version being used? Not able to find it at /usr/src/linux/fs/*

Linux Guru
    That log message comes from the fact that your /bin/mount is older than your kernel; it's not anything at the other computer. The most probable reason that I can think of is that the mountd running at B is timing out on either checking the hostname of A or submitting an IDENT request to A. Try stracing your mountd or using gdb to generate a backtrace of it while A is working on mounting the directory to see what's happening.

Just Joined!

More info

Heres some more info. from /var/log/messages on machine A
    11946 Jul 1 12:00:21 xxx kernel: NFS: NFSv3 not supported.
    11947 Jul 1 12:00:21 xxx kernel: nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
    11948 Jul 1 12:02:01 xxx kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
    11949 Jul 1 12:03:41 xxx kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
    11950 Jul 1 12:05:21 xxx kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out

Dolda2000, I will try that now. But I am not sure since m/c A hardly has any tools installed. very minimal distribution.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    That log message comes from the fact that your /bin/mount is older than your kernel; it's not anything at the other computer. The most probable reason that I can think of is that the mountd running at B is timing out on either checking the hostname of A or submitting an IDENT request to A. Try stracing your mountd or using gdb to generate a backtrace of it while A is working on mounting the directory to see what's happening.
    I dont think its timing out because if I do

machineb> ping machinea
    (thats short host name)

it responds almost immediately. Same is the case if I ping with long hostname/ipaddress.

Linux Engineer
    Make sure you have portmapper running which it sounds like you don't cause it looks like it is waiting for rpc to timeout. Run netstat to see if anything is listening on port 111. I have also seen this problem with you have an nfs v3 client trying to connect to a nfs v2 server or vice versa. To fix that, you will need to recompile the kernel for nfs v3 support.

Linux Guru

Re: More info

Quote Originally Posted by kallu
    11946 Jul 1 12:00:21 xxx kernel: NFS: NFSv3 not supported.
    Now that's a different thing. As genlee says, you should recompile the kernel on B to include NFSv3 support.

Still, though, requests can still time out even though the machine is pingable. If A has no resolvable hostname on B, the resolver will have to time out, and if B tries to make an IDENT query on A, and A doesn't have identd running, that will also time out.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    Make sure you have portmapper running which it sounds like you don't cause it looks like it is waiting for rpc to timeout. Run netstat to see if anything is listening on port 111.
    It was not running on either of them. But still, I can access the nfs share from A. So, I ran portmapper on B (nfs server). But it took the same time to mount.

I have also seen this problem with you have an nfs v3 client trying to connect to a nfs v2 server or vice versa. To fix that, you will need to recompile the kernel for nfs v3 support.
    Is this reqd. or can just use the portmapper solution to fix this? How and where all do I run portmapprt?

Linux Engineer
    /etc/init.d/portmap start <- to start portmapper
    What distro are you using?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    /etc/init.d/portmap start <- to start portmapper
    What distro are you using?
    Ran portmapper on nfs server (Machine B). Do I also need it on NFS client?

MachineA> time mount -a

real 5m0.002s
    user 0m0.000s
    sys 0m0.000s

All this is NFS mount.

M/c A is Suse with 2.4.18 kernel
    M/c B is Redhat 7.2 with 2.4.7-10 kernel

Linux Engineer
    yes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast