Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Gnome and KDE installed on RH 8.0 with no patches. I've just been exlporing the menus and only changed the screen saver for about a day and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

newbie gnome problem

I have Gnome and KDE installed on RH 8.0 with no patches. I've just been exlporing the menus and only changed the screen saver for about a day and a half. And rebooted and logged in many times with no issues.

Today I come in and after authenticating and trying to use gome I see the follow:
    Application "Gnome-Panel" (process xxxx) has crashed due to a fatal error. (Aborted)
    I click on "OK" and it just continues with the same message with different process numbers and doesn't see to have a end.

Now the odd part is I can boot to KDE or Win98se just fine. (Dual boot) Since I can't do anything from Gome and would like it back, what suggestions do you have that I could do from KDE to correct Gnome?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Saw this fix posted somewhere else - might be worth a try.

Try removing your gnome settings after you have backed up anything in your desktop folder:
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.gnome
    The settings will then get recreated and hopefully solve the problem.

g/l

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Removing the profile (/root/.gnome) didn't change anything. I'll try to guess my way through it unless someone has another idea.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Do you have tray applets on a vertical panel?
    If so, try removing them and see if that fixes it. BTW, this vertical panel thing is a known issue with RH 8.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    No I have not applets, only a unusable bar with just the RH, no time, no applets.

I have to pull the power to even get it down.
    Dan

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Ended up just reinstalling RH8. I'm just using it as a learning machines anyway so it just time lost, no data. Thanks for the ideas
    Dan

got something similar and it turned out to be a Sig11 type abend, which pointed towards dodgie RAM.

Is your PC fit and well?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    The error was consistant at the point it occured, only occured when starting Gnome, and KDE as well as win98se have no problems. Its unlikely the ram due the consistancy of occurrance, point it happened, and the point in the app it happened.

I've reinstalled RH8 and all is well. If your right, I would expect it to start acting up again soon. I hope your wrong.
    Dan