Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey All, I am more and more interested in Linux the more I hear about it, but have long been dependent on Windows. I recently inherited an old pos computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need guidance

Hey All,

I am more and more interested in Linux the more I hear about it, but have long been dependent on Windows. I recently inherited an old pos computer that I could do as I please with. Well, I decided now that I have a second computer I can always reformat it and start anew without losing anything since it's just a toy anyhow. I picked up a copy of the RedHat 6.2 bible at my local library and went through the install several times. Now that I am comfortable getting it up and running, I have downloaded the iso's for RH 9 and plan on installing it soon. So, my question is, is there a good book (ie RH 9 bible, RH9 unleashed, whatever) that I can get in order to have something to hold my hand while I learn the basics of a linux system? I would prefer it to be both a good beginners book and a good reference for linux in general. But I'll be happy with anything that'll get me competent in Linux without too many headaches. Thanks for any replies!!!

You can get Redhat 9 Bible. I havd Redhat 7.1 Bible, and its a fairly goog book.
    If you feel like not spending some money, Redhat has some good documentation at their site

to back up what Kriss has said, go here :-

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

and download at least the "Getting Started Guide".

But mainly, don't worry. The Redhat Install process is very good. You bung in CD number one and boot up the PC, it then takes you through setting it up. I suggest that if your PC is not very fast, that you use GNOME as your pretty GUI front end (it's a window manager for X, which by itself is rather unpleasant to use).

have fun

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    Thanks both of you. I've got the getting started and custimization guides coming down as I type, I'll give the bible series a look through to. Thanks again.