Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok here I go. I have the concept of Linux down....ahhh well sort of. I am trying to figure out how IO can run exe files. Everytime I click on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A question about ftp's and exe's

Ok here I go. I have the concept of Linux down....ahhh well sort of. I am trying to figure out how IO can run exe files. Everytime I click on them they do not work so I figure there must be a way to fanagle it so it does work. Also I am looking for an ftp that will actually work on my new linux box. I am running mandrake 9.1 Is it possible to run all the games that I had on xp on linux. I am running a duel boot system and do have access to windows from my linux box. Help please.

Don

Linux Guru
    With linux, your standard windows exe's wont work. You will need to get a linux version of the software, or find an alternative.

There is one possible exeception to this, and that is running WINE on your linux machine, which is basically a Windows Emulator. I dont use it myself, so i dont know how effective it is.

Here is the homepage: http://www.winehq.org/

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If you want to run windows applications on linux you will need the wine application as a windows emulator. The following is a description of what it is:

Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely alternative implementation consisting of 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use native system DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.
    If you want to continue with Windows (which is fine and reasonable), then change your machine to a dual boot OS instead. A Windows application will never run as well or poorly as it does while in Windows only.

Just my opinion,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    A Windows application will never run as well or poorly as it does while in Windows only.

On the downside, I read somewhere that that wine frequently 'freezes' up. Wait a minute, maybe it's a good win emulator after all!
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

GuitarSmasher (very Who ,
    you also mention that you want an ftp that works with Linux. Well, Linux comes with its own. Simply open up a terminal window and enter 'ftp'. Then you'll have to Open up a connection with the remote ftp site. Perhaps login (as anonymous or guest), perhaps cd (change directory) or ls (list the files in a directory) and get (receive a file) or mget (receive multple files).

I'm sure that there is also a GUI version of ftp with either Gnome or KDE, or you could use your web browser (Mozilla, Galeon, Netscape or the excelent Opera) to download files.

have fun
    Nerderello

Just Joined!
    Well the reason I am asking for something that will make exe's work is because i have many games that I was playing on windows that I would like to play on linux. I am not so much trying to have linux be like windows but I would like to play the games.

Linux Guru
    Install wine.

If the games work under Wine, great, if they dont, then it proberly cant be done.

Jason