Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a complete novice to Linux. I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 and am grappling with the change over from Windows. I must say that i like what i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hardware config

Hi, I am a complete novice to Linux. I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 and am grappling with the change over from Windows. I must say that i like what i see so far. I have however two main problems.
    1. My Modum being a controllerless win modum was not detected on installation. I have visited Linuxant.com and downloaded recent drivers and installed them however i cannot see a "device manager" within Mandrake 9.1. How do i manage hardware within this OS?
    PS has anyone been successful with this type of Modum i.e 56K PCI HSF
    ID Ven 127A Device 1025.

2. I cannot get my HP Scanjet 5100 to work, the OS won't recognise it i have tried Scandrake??? and it won't detect it. I have heard that P Port devices don't sit to well with Linux is this true. Is their no hope with this one.

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
    Tats

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Two points.

One your OS is Mandrake not KDE, Gnome or one of the other GUI's that you can install. Although I have hear of drivers for "Winmodems" I have not heard anyone report that they have one working. Hopefully your the exception. We'll hear from other but I don't think your modem is going to work. Just my opinion.

Two your HP Scanjet 5100 is may not be Linux compatible. You'll still need to have a dual boot machine or hook it up to another if possible.

Drivers are only for:

Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows Me
    Windows NT 4.0
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Macintosh computer (*PPDs included for all but the HP LaserJet 5100Le and 5100se)
    OS/2 PCL/PCL6 printer driver*
    OS/2 PS printer driver*

*The OS/2 drivers are also available from IBM, and are packaged with OS/2.

This is from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c00026460

There is a mention of linux suport from Sourceforce at:

For information about Linux support for the printer, see the HP Linux support homepage: Click here for more information from the HP Linux support homepage at http://hp.sourceforge.net/.

Looks like you be searching with no definate positive results.

Sorry but the truth isn't always great news
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

the joys of Linmodems.

I, you'll be happy to hear, have my internal (PCI) modem happily working with Linux (Redhat 7.3 thru to 9.0).

The way it works is that the driver that you down load and then install (see later) creates a device that your TCP/IP and modem software make use of. This device is normally then linked to a 'standard' device called /dev/modem (go and have a look, in a terminal window, at this device by entering 'ls /dev/modem -alF'). You then setup your internet dialer (either a pretty GUI wizzard or handraulically editing the /etc/wvdial.conf or check the man pages for wvdial (man wvdial))

The installtion of the software driver depends on how you've received the files. If you have an RPM file (ie. it ends in .rpm) then you do a rpm -i filename . If you've got a tar (ends in either tar or tar.gz) then first you need to untar (unzip) it. Then you should read the README file (it may be called README or Readme.1st or Install). This hsould tell you what to do. You may need to do a './configure' (ie. change directory to the folder/sub-directory that you extracted to, and then type ./configure and press enter) and/or a 'make' (ie. change directory to the folder/sub-directory that you extracted to, and then type make and press enter). There are some discussions on installing non-rpm files at this site :-

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ght=instal+tar

hope that has helped