Find the answer to your Linux question:
My linux redhat 7.2 server crashed the oter day and I had to turn it off at the power switch. The ISDN connection wouldn't turn off, and the server wouldn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't boot linux anymore after system crash

My linux redhat 7.2 server crashed the oter day and I had to turn it off at the power switch. The ISDN connection wouldn't turn off, and the server wouldn't shut down. Now it won't boot. It just hangs when it tries to bring up the localhost interface (most times here anyway, sometimes it is when it is checking for new hardware, and sometimes after the localhost). When I try to shut it down using Ctrl, Alt, Del it says that the interface ppp0 can't be found.

I can boot into single user mode so I think it is a problem with one of the network connections (ISDN or ethernet), but I'm not sure and don't know what to do anyway.

Can anyone help!?

Thanks

Richard

Linux Guru
    I don't know much about ISDN, but first of all, check so that ppp0 isn't configured to load at boot. Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 so that the ONBOOT variable isn't set to yes.
    Then you would probably be able to boot up your system normally and do a much more thorough examination of the fault.