Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm completely new to linux, having recieved my redhat entetrprise edition only a week ago. I installed it on a fresh computer, amd 2700+ proc. on a soyo kt400 blackdragon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with GRUB / LI

I'm completely new to linux, having recieved my redhat entetrprise edition only a week ago. I installed it on a fresh computer, amd 2700+ proc. on a soyo kt400 blackdragon board with 2 40 gig hardrives on a 0 raid. the install went smoothly enough (much easier than xp ^_^) and every was working fine. untill i actually tried to boot. After all the post tests my computer would scan the boot devices (cd1 : cd : hd0) whereupon coming to HD0 it would print the letters LI then stop. ) HD activity, ) activity on any drive to be precise, i thoguht it might jst be because it was the first time booting, but after a hour ( afk - im not gunna sit tehre watchin LI all day) it was still the same. i reformatted and tried again, with GRUB this time, when it got to the same point, it said GRUB and stopped. this is a bit aggrevating as id really love to see this os in action, as XP drove me nearly into the sanitarium, and i raelly dont wanna get into OS/2.

any help wlould be greatly appreciated, and if i am lacking to provide some vital info, please tell me.

Used to see this sometimes "back in the day". Usually it's because the OS got your geometry wrong (number of sectors/heads/cylinders used in the hard drive configuration of your BIOS). If you made a boot floppy during the install, it should work for a boot.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Sometimes it works to set the hard drive to LBA in the BIOS instead of Normal or Large, as well.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    havent made one yet, but ill try that, would that mean i should select 'none' under the boot loader (probobly not what its called)?

You can still install a bootloader. Usually, the installer will ask whether you want to create a boot floppy (or at least give the option when you're installing your bootloader). I would try setting the drives to LBA before a reinstall, just to see if that takes care of it, since that would be a quick fix.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Smile

Hi I'm using (installing) debian on a PII 233MHZ.
    And just wanted to tell you:
    "This has help me! LBA works, tanks!"