Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running RH 8.0 and using KDE (Gnome is hosedup). Install vnc rpm all is well and I set the password. I verifiy its been installed and it has. I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

vnc blues :<

I'm running RH 8.0 and using KDE (Gnome is hosedup). Install vnc rpm all is well and I set the password. I verifiy its been installed and it has. I've verified it running via netstat -an and it is on the proper ports (5801 and 5901).

I go to the kickstart app that controls the defualt firewall to verify its off, which is what I selected during setup. It it is on. I change the setting to off and it asks me for root pasword (I'm logged in as root). So I give it roots password and save the file. Then I reboot and restart/verify vnc is running. The disable firewall option I picked, has not change from its defualt on setting of on. I redo all the above and get more of the same.

Any ideas on why its not taking a change when logged in as root and even give it roots pwd when asked? Unless I can change the firewall setting, there will be no vnc.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    I believe that Redhat messed up somewhere, so your firewall in the GUI always appears to be on, even when its not.

Drop to a command prompt, and run: "iptables -L". if the firewall is really off, then you should see:

Code:
    Chain INPUT &#40;policy DROP&#41;
    target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD &#40;policy ACCEPT&#41;

Chain OUTPUT &#40;policy ACCEPT&#41;
    Remember when connecting with the vnc client to use x.x.x.x:1, where x.x.x.x is the ipaddress. the ":1" is important, as it tells the VNC client the server is listening on tcp/5901 as opposed to 5900 (default on windows).

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    The whole issue was:

Remember when connecting with the vnc client to use x.x.x.x:1, where x.x.x.x is the ipaddress. the ":1" is important, as it tells the VNC client the server is listening on tcp/5901 as opposed to 5900 (default on windows).
    This could be added to the tut for others? It screwed me up but good until you set me straight. Thanks

Follow on question is both machines are set to 800X600 yet I can't see the whole screen from the viewer app machine even when scrolling. idea's?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    you should have a vnc window icon on your task bar with all other open windows (client machine). right click on this, and choose "Full Screen".

To exit full screen, i think the key combination is something like "CTRL-ESC".

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If I have a terminal session open I can see and use it. What I cannot see or use are the task bar or any icons. In full screen mode I can scroll by just moving the mouse over but still can't see anyting unless I opened it locally. This is also using the Winvnc viewer and vnc server on RH.

Other Ideas? I'm lost here.

Edit: I just realized its not show the kde interface, it showing some other variation ? i.e. I had two terminal sessions open but the one on linux displsy didn't reflect what was on my winvnc terminal screen. Looks like an x-windows session. Does that give any clues?
    Dan

Linux Guru

once on your home directory, do: "cd .vnc/"

then edit the "xstartup" file there.

make sure the last line of the file says "startkde &"

If your not sure, post the file up here.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Worked great

So you going to include any of these in your vnc tut or to abstract?

Great job again !
    Dan

Linux User
    Thanks for being the guinea pig, flw. I may just have to set this up myself, now that I know what to expect.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Guru
    FLW, the 1st prob you had i could put into the tut at some point, the second point is already covered: http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/viewtopic.php?t=7

CT, check out that URL as well, it covers installing, configuring and starting the server.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    What about combining the two, for one stop vnc help, rather than use a tut but need to search as well? Just cut and paste? It just seems you got some great info and it would be a shame for other users not to find it all.
    Dan