Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all, we have an application that is built on RH7.3. we are looking at getting some fail safe modes made in case of harddrive failure (these are running on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fail safe mode

hello all,
    we have an application that is built on RH7.3. we are looking at getting some fail safe modes made in case of harddrive failure (these are running on compaq evo's).
    one method was to have 2 imaged harddrives and then use rsync to make sure the files are the same on each pc (will run every night). so if hda blows then they can insert a boot floppy that will boot with hdb. this will suffice until a new imaged hd can be installed.
    in reading what we are trying to accomplish, does anyone else have any suggestions?
    thanx
    sean

Linux Guru

Re: fail safe mode

Quote Originally Posted by sean.oshea
    hello all,
    we have an application that is built on RH7.3.
    A bit of info about the application? does it use databases? if you wanted to move this application to another system from scratch, what would you need to do?

Jason

Just Joined!
    it is a perl application utilizing sysbase and freetds. so really the only files that need to be synched are the perl files and inittab.
    i reimage the harddrives with copy commander to make sure that i do not have to rebuild all of the time. then i copy the files over and we are up and running. this application collects caseweight data off of our checkweighers at 9 different plants.
    thanx
    sean

Linux Guru
    depending on how realistic a loss of, lets say, an hours data would cost you, how much work is done in an hour etc, why not just setup a cron job to copy the perl script to another physical machine every hour? the best backup strategy really depends on the ins and outs of your application.

surely the most important part of the system would be the database itself? and why is the inittab important?

Jason

Just Joined!
    the inittab contains the connection parameters for multiple checkweighers within each facility.
    the database is important, but sybase only acts as a go between to MSSQL. so no data is stored on the listening pc. my main goal is to make an easy solution for the IT guys at each plant so that if the hard drive fails, they can bring things up quickly. (we are spread out around the nation)[the IT guys do not want to learn linux]
    thanx
    sean

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.oshea
    the IT guys do not want to learn linux
    My final comment on this is: "get some new IT staff". your welcome to quote me on that

Jason

I'd have to agree with J. It seems that the easiest solution would be to setup a cron job to tar/gzip and backup your important files to another machine. (And you SHOULD get some new IT staff )
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    appreciate the info on this. we have a good group of guys that see their careers in the microsoft world.
    i will look into backing up the files and maybe writing a shell that would be part of the image for the hard drive so when it boots (they replaced the hd with a new image) the script will go out and get the new files. having an image hd will prevent them from having to install linux-sybase-freetds, and me having to fly out there.
    if you have any other suggestions, please send them my way!!
    thanx
    sean

Nothing right now...let us know how it works and if you need anymore help.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy