Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm a Linux newbie (converted Windoze user) and have recently installed Red Hat 9.0, I've been very surprised at the ease of which I'm finding Linux and have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Packages (RPM's etc)

Hi All,

I'm a Linux newbie (converted Windoze user) and have recently installed Red Hat 9.0, I've been very surprised at the ease of which I'm finding Linux and have managed to grasp mounting filesystems, command lines permissions etc.
    However I seem to have hit the wall with Package installation, Red Hat's seem easy but when I download one from the net and attempt to install, I'm not sure where it has installed it, whether it has installed and how to run it when installed. I tried Synaptic and APT but had file dependency problems, does anyone know where I can find an "Idiot's Guide" to Linux Package Installation or some straightforward tutorials?

Tom (all help much appreciated!)

Just Joined!
    problems with dependancys are unfortuantly one of the most annoying things in the world. but even worse, not always easy to solve either.

the best thing to do is to search for the missing dependancies on google and download an rpm which provides the file you need. (just hope that rpm doesn't have missing dependancies either )

when you install a program, th main binary will generaly be copied to /usr/bin
    meaning you can just run the command from anywhere

if you installed gaim for example, it would be started with a simple 'gaim' command.

its a lot easier to learn, i find, if you don't try to relate everythign to windows... forget the registry ever existed... definatly forget program files and the windows folder :P

good luck

another good site to use is http://rpmfind.net as you can search through it for what provides the dependancy files that you're missing.

Recently my biggest bug bear was getting some librarys to support the latest version of Opera (the web browser and email client) and ended up finding them, through rpmfind.net, in a compatibilty rpm (the libary I had on Redhat 9 were later than those that Opera was expecting.

hang in there, it does, slowly, satrt to make sense.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    When you install the rpm package, its going to ask where you to install it,(usually in root)
    and if you want to force an rpm you can alway use thet --nodeps command and --force

example

rpm -Uvh glibc -common* --nodeps --force

this way it will ignore the deps and install