Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I use RH linux 8 and winxp. I have just bought a SMC 7004VBR Barricade broadband router. F or setting up the router,I typed the router's ip (192.168.2.1) into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Router Problems

Hi,
    I use RH linux 8 and winxp. I have just bought a SMC 7004VBR Barricade broadband router.
    F
    or setting up the router,I typed the router's ip (192.168.2.1) into the browser address bar. A screen with basic and advanced setup appeared.

For the basic setup, I selected PPPoE xDSL bcoz the explanation stated that service providers using username and passward use PPPoE. So, I typed my username and password. A message saying 'Data being saved' appeared. After a while, another message 'Not connected. Pls refer to CD document' appeared.

Hence, I went for the advanced setup. Under the WAN section, I selected Dynamic IP addresses. For this section,the hostname was left empty. And the status of the connection is Connected. Primary DNS is 10.0.0.2 (the ethernet modem's ip add). However, when I typed a website address (yaho0),nothing appeared.
    So,I went back to setup PPPoE. As usual I typed in the username n password, leaving the service name blank. The MTU is 1492 and max idle time is 0. But still,there's no connection.

I have tried pinging the router and it works. However, the ethernet modem cannot be pinged. There's a message saying 'reply from 192.168.2.1: Destination net unreachable'

I think the hardware connections are correct. The ethernet modem is connected to the WAN port of the router while the PC's NIC is connected to the LAN port of the router. The router and ethernet modem are both powered up also.

Do you know what is the problem with the connection? Please reply quicklyh if you can....thanks!

Linux User

PPPoE

Are you sure that you need PPPoE I use a broadband router type thing and can connect via Linux my service provider have a username and password yet use PPPoA.

I also had to change a few settings on the modem to enable the router to route through it. A mode setting I think.

Can you ping the DNS server? If you can't then it is unlikely that you will get on the net.

Other point how can your your router have an internal IP address of 192.168.2.1 and your modem 10.0.0.2 since these are on separate subnets you will need to do something else to get traffic to talk. Won't you need to give the router two ips, like a gateway one on each subnet. I take it that your pc has an ip on the same subnet as the router e.g. 192.168.2.2?

I would try and put everything on the same subnet first. then try and ping the modem.

Give it a go and see what happens.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    Hi Kpzani,
    The internal ip addresses of the router (192.168.2.1) and the modem (10.0.0.2) are given by the user manual of the respective hardware. So,could you explain how to resolve this problem?
    And my pc NIC is configured to use DHCP,as instructed in the modem manual.

There's a new situation however. I enabled DHCP on the router setup page and set the PC NIC's default gateway to 192.168.2.1 and dns to 10.0.0.2. The eth modem and router can now be pinged and the connection setup page of the eth modem can appear in the web browser.
    And upon clicking the 'connect' button, the status said the modem is connected. However, when I typed any web address, nothing appears. The web browser is also not offline. This is strange since the status shows 'Connected' and with DHCP enabled, but actually, it seems that the modem is not connected.

Do you know whats the problem? ...pls reply thanks!

Linux Guru
    Could just be a DNS problem. Try pinging my IP address (217.215.27.171) and see if that returns.

Linux User

explanation

both of the manuals have no regard for the other device. Each is using an IP address from a protected range (designated for internal local network use).

What you have configured now means that when you send a request for any site outside of your subnet (192.168.X.X) the request will be sent to your default gateway - the router. this will then (we hope) forward the request onto a different subnet. So since your dns setting is the modem 10.0.0.2 then any reuqest to translate a web page should be forwarded by the router to the modem. No the problem occurs if the router doesn't know how to communicate properly with the modem or the modem isn't correctly set-up on the net.

Can you tell by the modem lights whether or not it is actually online?

or can you run commands on your router. Mine has a tiny telnet interface which lets me ping devices from it. Can you try something like that.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux User

router questions

I just had a google around fro your router. I found that it has a built in WAN port and you should connect the broadband cable directly to it and not the modem.

then using dhcp and NAT it will just sort it all out for you.

http://www.eprom.com/home/SMC/7004vbr.htm