Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have another IMAP question...(Dolda I bet you are thrilled...!!) I have successfully setup my IMAP server using SuSE 8.2 Pro with Postfix... My IMAP server is using SSL (SuSE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

IMAP...

I have another IMAP question...(Dolda I bet you are thrilled...!!)
    I have successfully setup my IMAP server using SuSE 8.2 Pro with Postfix... My IMAP server is using SSL (SuSE compiled the rpm like that..) I can connect and get my Inbox, but I cannot create sub-folders...
    In Outlook ( just using it to test, I promise... ) I get the error " Unable to create the folder. The server responded: "CREATE failed: Can't create mailbox node /home/ehazlett: Permission denied."

I am not that good with IMAP so I am not sure where the mail is stored (/var/spool ??)

Linux Guru
    Wait a minute; Postfix doesn't have an IMAP server as well, does it? Postfix is just a MTA, right? What IMAP server are you really using?

Just Joined!
    UW IMAP

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Are you running it SUID? Could you run the following on the server?
    Code:
    ls -ld ~
    telnet localhost imap
    (Wait for it to connect)
    1 LOGIN <username> <password>
    &#40;Wait for response&#41;
    Press Ctrl+] before each of the following commands, you will get a "telnet>" prompt.
    Code:
    ! ps -lp `/sbin/pidof imapd`
    ! ls -l /proc/`/sbin/pidof imapd`/
    quit

Just Joined!
    I cannot telnet in... That was one of my complaints to SuSE... They precompiled their IMAP package to not allow PLAIN text login by default. When the IMAP server starts, or I check the status, it shows me LOGINDISABLED , and if I telnet I get this:
    1 NO LOGIN failed

And if I try to telnet to the port 993 (my imap is SSL) I get:
    Connection closed by foreign host.

And yes, I think the imap service is running SUID as root...

I think that's what you wanted to know...

It looks like it is not detecting my user rights, but I would think, if I logged in as "ehazlett", then I would have "ehazlett" s rights...

Linux Guru
    It was Outlook you were using, right? Does it hold a connection to the IMAP server open? In that case, look up the imapd process on the server while you're connected, attach strace to it and then create a new subfolder, and see if a syscall fails, or if there is something else to it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dolda, I will give it a try...!

evan hazlett

Linux Engineer
    I strongly suggest not to run it as SUID as that is a serious security problem there if an exploit were to be found in UW imap. Would that not cause it to fork off clients as root instead of the UID? Your mail is generally stored in your home dir under .Mailbox by default with postfix. When you are logged into imap, check ps to see what uid the imap is running as. You should see one as root, and then another with your uid unless it is running for virtual users.

Linux Engineer
    Some how another one of my post ended up here.

Linux Guru
    genlee, I spawn my IMAP processes from xinetd as root, and they then setuid() when users log in, so I think that it's supposed to be that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast