Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! I have been worink with MS Windows for many years now, but I happen to be a command-line fan. I want to use an OS in which I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

two newbie questions?

Hi all!

I have been worink with MS Windows for many years now, but I happen to be a command-line fan. I want to use an OS in which I can do everything with command-line. WOuld Linux be my right choice?
    Another question: what would be the difference betweem installing Linux on my PC and installing cgwin?

Thank you very much,

Mainebound

yes, you can run Linux as a command line OS. During installation you tell it that you do not want a graphical interface (called X). But be warned. Most of the latest Linux software is designed to be run using X and probably a windows manager such as Gnome or KDE.

You can, just like in windows, have a terminal window (s) in X to give you the command line and you can edit all of the config files this way. You can also press Ctrl Alt F1 to give you a MSDOS style screen (Ctrl Alt F7 gets you back to X).

Bottom line, there are standalone (ie they run off a CDROM and you do NOT have to install them) Linux distributions that you can try to see if you like Linux.

have fun
    Nerderello

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much!

What would be the difference between installing Linux on my PC and installing cgwin?

Mainebound

Cygwin is a DLL which provides a Unix emulation environment for Windows. The Cygwin environment provides a complete port of such development utilities as gcc, binutils, gdb, make, etc., as well as a number of useful utilities.
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/cygwin

Just Joined!
    Thank you, but I still don't clearly see the difference between cygwin and Linux on a Pc.

From what I understand, Cygwin enables you to run kde/gnome and such on windows.

Take a look on cygwin.com