Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best hdparm and FTP server

2 questions, what's the best hdparm command - ATA100 32bit async and the like...

and how do I set up an FTP server for access by another machine on the 192.168.10.* network in SuSE 8.1??

Better yet, what's the BEST way to TEMPORARILY transfer 20G of data from this system to another one on my network

Cole

Linux Guru
    There isn't really a best hdparm command; it's pretty individual for each drive and chipset. To get optimal performance, you shouldn't just trim your IDE parameters, but also the filesystem parameters.

To transfer files on your internal network, FTP is probably the best, if you don't want to try NFS, that is. I think FTP is a whole lot faster, though. To set up a FTP server, just install it, then you're done, basically.

FTP

Hey Dolda -
    I've got a note into LKML about the IDE troubles I'm having already got some responses - thanks for the help!!!
    Back to the topic at hand, install what exactly... I installed APACHE assuming it supported FTP, I was wrong apparently...

SuSE includes VSFTP -

Cole

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Nope, apache doesn't support FTP. Only HTTP. vsftpd is very good, though; go for that.

Btw., could you share some of the responses you get on the hdparm issue?

thanks and I will

Dolda -
    I will let you know - currently they are mostly just collecting information... Any tips on where tyo go to set up VSFTP????

Cole

Linux Guru
    There's not much setting up to do. Just install it and start it. The rest is just fine-tuning for administrative purposes.

Linux Newbie

Re: thanks and I will

Quote Originally Posted by drspin
    Dolda -
    I will let you know - currently they are mostly just collecting information... Any tips on where tyo go to set up VSFTP????

Cole
    The man pages for vsftpd will be more than enough to help you get your ftp server up and running.

There arent that many options. I would disable root access (cant remember if that was the default settings) and chroot users that connect to stop them wandering around your system.

Check your log files regularly, you wont believe how many s'kiddies will try to get access either by brute forcing passwords (usually the administrator account, poor sods who only know about windows) or trying anon access.

CDROM DMA (off topic)

Dolda -
    I think I may have determined my prblem - how can I enable dma fr /dev/sr0 (CDROM) and /dev/sr1 (burner)??? hdparm doesn't work.

Cole

Linux Guru
    Enable it for the corresponding IDE device (/dev/hd?).

Diablo II

I just watched the Diablo II videos that I've not been able to watch yet - they kick a$$

Ok here's the comand I used

Code:
    hdparm -c1d1X69 /dev/hda
    and the same one for /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd

LKML is going to be a little bitter at me I think...

Now, how can I make these changes permanent so I don't have to put them in every time I start up????

Cole