Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was wondering what is the best type of Linux to use well not type maybe like Brand... for n00b... Mandrake SuSE Lindows RedHat any others? thx...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best type/brand of Linux OS

I was wondering what is the best type of Linux to use well not type maybe like Brand... for n00b...

Mandrake
    SuSE
    Lindows
    RedHat

any others?
    thx

flw
    Linux Engineer
    They all have their merits. If you know someone that is a linux user, I'd pick what there using so you have someone to ask questions that are also close by.

I would skip Lindows if your goal is to learn linux.

For a link to other flavors of linux see the link: http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/...ubutions+linux
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

that topic is talked about many times here on this forum. but i will say that redhat 9 and mandrake 9.1 are quite good for a noobie. they are pretty easy to install and pretty user freindly but again tis up to personal choice.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

My crazy answer: Slackware. But if you choose it, be prepared to read a lot of manuals on the way . If you can set it up, configure xfree etc, just after reading some manuals, you have learned things in a very quick time that redhat wouldnt teach you.

Slackware might make you feel a bit "lost", I know, it made me the first time. I remeber trying to install it several times, before I finaly got it. Then it was that darn xfree and internet, right?

So after a month on slackware, I got used to all the "getting your hands dirty" on slackware, and fell in love. I wouldnt trade Slackware for anything else. It has teached me great things, which I'm guessing I wouldnt learned in, Say redhat and mandrake.

Also, the community around the distro is quite nice. Say, #Slackware on freenode, allways (some times not) helpful people. The distro has a bunchload of doc's. Http://www.slackware.com/book for example.

But my suggestion, would be to try out several major distro's first, and find out what's your personal taste.

Oh, and dont get me wrong, its nothing wrong in running Redhat or Mandrake. I'm shure they are great aswelll

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Being this is the newbies section I would disagree on Slackware as a option for a new user at all.

Frustration and reading one manual after another is not going to lead to the freedom linux brings when they can just go over to the other side and use M$.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    yes and no.

It all depends on the person, some people (like me ) love a challenge, love learning new things like reading up on stuff, so dont mind a slightly more challenging distro as their first one.

Other people are simply looking for a replacement to MS windows they can use to type the odd letter and browse the web, use email etc, and dont particularly care for the details of how it all works.

my 2 cents.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Since the question was best type for a nOOb, would you change your answer or stay the course?
    Dan

Just Joined!
    cool, i'm not looking for a replacement for MS Windows, cause i want to learn the programming but i want to know where to start off.

i've heard that linux is very flexible and although there may be a learning curve which is hard to get by... i'd still like to try it out.

never heard of slackware, does it have like configable GNU etc?
    i'm a n00b...

i've asked around, found that 2 of my friends use Linux, one for server, one for replacement of windows...
    the one that uses it for server uses RedHat and SuSE
    the other uses for home use uses Mandrake

i heard that Mandrake is easy to use and is similar to windows but way lower requirements and once u learn the basic programming of Linux then u can customize the whole OS...

also i'd prefer something with GNU/GUI/IDE type thing instead of pure commandline... cause i'm kinda slow with commandline...
    cause i know Unix is all command line

but since i'm planning to work with something that is used in the professional level... like what people use in realworld or around the world for like programming, i know that only a few percent uses Windows and the rest use Linux and Unix, so i still don't know what is best..

im pretty sure that most linux distros have the GUI atleast all of the ones i have seen and i have tryed out a bunch of them. i would recommend using Mandrake since you have a freind using it then if there is something you need help with that we here cant help with then your friend could help you out and since he/she would be right there they would be able to see the problem and maybe have ran into it them selfs. jst my opinion
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    ok thanks i'll start trying them out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast