Find the answer to your Linux question:
How in the world do you mount a USB drive, from both the command line and XWindows?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting a USB drive?

How in the world do you mount a USB drive, from both the command line and XWindows?

Just Joined!
    usb drives are generaly listed as scsi devices (don't ask why, because i'm not sure myself)

anyway... trial and error is the best thing i can suggest. if you have usb support (and the modules running) then try mounting /dev/sda1 and sda2 etc as you would a normal device... I foudn that my usb disk (once deteted) was listed as /dev/sda2.
    Code:
    #mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
    (where /mnt/usb is a dir that actualy exists)

you may find that you have to specify a file sytem type... as far as i am aware, most usb drives use vfat, so thats easy enough.

good luck

flw
    Linux Engineer
    In addition to good luck, if you could let us know what worked for you on your distro, we would appreciate it. Your question is a good one so its bound to come up again.

Thanks,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Just done it on Mandrake 9.1 without touching a command line.

Booted with the drive plugged in, went to diskdrake and selected it, set a mount point, went to advanced options and allowed all to mount. MDK shoves an icon on the desktop similar to the cdrom ones.

So all I do now is plug it in and mount with the icon.

Just Joined!
    Well... I tried the "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/" and "sda2, 3, 4..."

And it returned something like "No such block device found", and in looking in the /dev/ directory I see MANY "sd" files...

How would you go about finding which one is actually the device I am trying to mount?

BTW: This is more like a RAM drive that plugs into the UBS port. I hope my first post was understood as such, but if not, I hope this clears it up.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by OhBoy!
    BTW: This is more like a RAM drive that plugs into the UBS port. I hope my first post was understood as such, but if not, I hope this clears it up.
    That's what mine is too. Try following what I've written and it should work.