Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
there's another possibilty - what kind of router and did you check to see if it was acting as a firewall of sorts??? Cole...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

configure the router

there's another possibilty - what kind of router and did you check to see if it was acting as a firewall of sorts???

Cole

Linux User
    hmm i have been thinking about this and i came up with something but am not sure if it is logical or not. i was thinking i could have the modem go straight to my pc. then from my pc. i could have it go to the switch and use my pc to assign the local IP's or have it go to the router then the switch. not sure. i heard the router has to come before everything. or right after the modem. but anyways. could i get some feelback on this idea.

Linux Newbie

reiterate -

I once again ask what kind of router and what sort of configuration you did to it... the reason for this is because friends of mine were having similar troubles when I looked up the router online I was able to determine that the router had built in firewalling capabilites (would there really be a point to a router otherwise?) and these were configurable through a simple web interface... is there a port to hook up a console? are you able to telnet, or http to the routers internal IP? what baout external?

Another note is that if you are on a PRIVATE network, specifically university, hospital, or other professional organization, contact the SYSADMIN regarding this... At this university the broadband that's available WAS fast as hell... thet recently impletments LODAS of filters which made file=sharing impossible... it also really did a toll on IRC file sharing... it is possible to get around them but it took me nearly a month to get it to work on the campus network and then everyone wanted me to show them how - really not worth it but it did pay well! It is also totally legal

Even another thought is if you have a private firewall running on your system... be sure that it's set to allow file sharing across the ports... there is a also a switch which will allow file-sharing on firewalled computers in the settings of PIRCH and MIRC -> I can't remember it exactly and I don't know about LINUX-based clients...

Cole

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxface
    hmm i have been thinking about this and i came up with something but am not sure if it is logical or not. i was thinking i could have the modem go straight to my pc. then from my pc. i could have it go to the switch and use my pc to assign the local IP's or have it go to the router then the switch. not sure. i heard the router has to come before everything. or right after the modem. but anyways. could i get some feelback on this idea.
    If you hook your computer up first, you will not need the router since your computer will be acting as one.

Just Joined!
    If you are going to build a router check out "Smoothwall"

http://www.smoothwall.org/

There are minimal hardware requirements for smoothwall too,
    if you have a Pentium 1, 16MB of RAM, a 500MB HDD, and two nic cards, you can run smoothwall.

Linux User
    ok im moving on my idea of turning the PC into a router. so i need to know what i need. and it will work for DCC send in IRC right? and another thing a need to be able to do is host a server for IRC. thanks.

Linux Guru
    Check the firewalling, routing and NATing HOWTOs on tldp.org and netfilter.org. They should tell you just about anything you'll ever need to know. Especially, check the NAT HOWTO on netfilter.org. As it will tell you, you will need to NICs in your PC. It will work for DCC once you enable the modules ip_nat_irc and ip_conntrack_irc.

Linux User
    It will work for DCC once you enable the modules ip_nat_irc and ip_conntrack_irc.
    ok but will it allow me to be a server also?

Linux Guru
    Naturally; just forward the port whatever computer you're running the server on. If you're running the server on the router itself, it will work by itself, since it's connected directly to the internet.

Linux User
    hmm so i could host a server as it is rightnow? with the modem>router>switch>computers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast