Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
ok right now i have my internet going from the modem to a 1port router to a 4 port switch. so what im trying to do i just drop the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Trouble changing the way my house is networked.

ok right now i have my internet going from the modem to a 1port router to a 4 port switch. so what im trying to do i just drop the router all togeather. but when i simply unplug the router and plug the modem into the switch it will not connect. the model of the switch is. EZXS55W linksys.

Linux User
    you have to have the router to rout the internet.

I looked up the switch up on the lynksis site and it doesnt have a wan port.

So you have to still use the router to get internet to all of the conputers
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux User

Linux Engineer
    Your router does NAT(network address translation) which you need to connect multiple machines to the net if you only have 1 ip. That link will not help you at all since it is just a switch. What you need is a router which will do nat. Only thing you can use to replace your current router would be a linux/unix box setup as a router for nat.

Linux User
    hmm if i did that would i have to buy anything in addition to what i have? otherwise will this do?

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...161&pfp=BROWSE

Linux Engineer
    Yes that will work but that is basicly what you have now. Why not just save your money?

Linux User
    blah well the main problem at hand right now is i cant send files in IRC and it has to do with my network. and i need a way to do it so i can send files. if you want to read the problem. go under applications and "Xchat issues"

Linux Engineer
    Yeah I read that. Best bet would be to build a linux box as a router and use that. There is an irc module that support connection tracking for it. It will allow you to send files and request chats with dcc.

Linux User
    ok . so how do i go about setting this up?

Linux Engineer
    Basicly install linux on some spare box. Load all the modules you need like irc_connection_tracking, ip_nat, iptables, ect. Then say eth0 is your external nic and eth1 is internal nic. Eth0 would get your external ip like 68.123.16.5 and eth1 would get an internal ip like 10.0.01. You would use these iptables rules to do it.

iptables -P FORWARD DROP
    iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

That is a very basic way of doing it which should work. I do suggest you setup some firewall rules with that as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast