Find the answer to your Linux question:
what is the best bootloader. LILO or Grub. i was jst curious. i seem to like Grub but thought i would get everyone elses point of view on this. thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

best boot loader?

what is the best bootloader. LILO or Grub. i was jst curious. i seem to like Grub but thought i would get everyone elses point of view on this. thanks
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    hmmm... I like lilo personaly. I think a lot of it is down to personal taste.

lilo seems a lot smaller and more streamlined to me. but they are usualy heavily modified when shpped with mainstream distros like redhat and mandrake.

loadlin is handy if you are running a dos based systme aswell i guess... but it can be a bit of a faf.

Linux User
    I started by using grub, and since it works I'll keep using it. The only real difference I've noticed between lilo and grub so far, is that grub allows spaces in the naming of your o/s labels (like "Redhat Version 9.0"), while lilo does not (have to do "Redhat_Version_9.0"). I know what your thinking - whoopy-freakin'-do. OK, fine; I'm sure there are other differences, too. But it would probably shake out similar to the whole vi(m) vs emacs grudge match...

just my $0.02
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I use grub on my only gui linux box (lilo on two others that are cmd only). I wanted to use it only to see what the real difference was. I've only been using it a short time and don't see from this side of the keyboard the real differences.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Read this it explains the differences of the two -> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...grub-lilo.html

flw
    Linux Engineer
    This part I don't get

It cannot read ext2 partitions.
    Doesn't make sense. Which is not backwards compatible? Also doesn't seem to go with what I've seen using Grub lately which is reading both ext2 and 3.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

I've only used grub before, though I plan on trying LILO soon. Right now though, I'm using a floppy.