Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If you set the CD on play with KsCD and plug in a couple of earphones in the CD drive's earphone jack, do you get anything from them?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

If you set the CD on play with KsCD and plug in a couple of earphones in the CD drive's earphone jack, do you get anything from them?

Linux Newbie

Yes

yup - sure do

the volume slider in KsCD even controls the volume...

Linux Guru
    Check to see if you have CD audio cables connecting your CD-ROM drive to your sound card. Check these pictures that I took for another thread for an example. The cables are "highlighted" in red:
    http://www.dolda2000.cjb.net/~fredrik/lf/cdacable-1.jpg
    http://www.dolda2000.cjb.net/~fredrik/lf/cdacable-2.jpg

Linux Engineer
    If that's not helpful, then I don't know what to say.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Newbie

LOL

Thanks for the pictures actually that was the first thing I checked though... 2 months ago when I first started toying with LINUX...

OH well.,.. no big deal... I'll just rip them to mp3

thaknks - cole

Linux Engineer
    Can I just suggest that you shouldn't give up? I too had a similar problem and I gave up only because I had too much school work at the time.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I'm perplexed by this problem. It's the second report of this in a very short time, so it has to be a common cause.
    You don't have an oscilloscope, do you? Those are very helpful in times like these.
    Check which input connector on the sound board that the audio cable is connected to. I have several following the same standard on my SB Live, so I guess you could have plugged it into the wrong one. Not that that wouldn't work, but it would be on another mixer channel, so it might still be muted or turned down by accident.

Linux Newbie

back!

sorry it took so long for a response, I was away for the weekend.

Alright, here's the deal, the only modification that I have done to the system was add a second NIC to it and added 256 M or RAM... on this system in order to do both of thise it didn't require moving or unplugging anything the case is VERY well built!

Unfortunately, I'm in college and don't readily have access to an oscilloscope... I do know, however, that the CD drives are hooked up to the correct ports because I've tried swaping them I also went into the SuSE SND config utility and turned EVERYTHING UP... there was roughly 3 or 4 things that were at 0... BTW it may help that I'm using emu10k1 drivers for my SB Live! Value card...

Cole

Linux Guru
    I don't really understand this. Everything seems correct, but it just doesn't work. Until something can be worked out, you can just buy an stereo extension cable and connect it from the earphone jack of the CD-ROM to the line-in port on your sound card. That should work, although admittedly it isn't very smooth.
    You can also try using CDDAFS.

Linux Newbie

interesting...

Thanks doalda good idea... I actually hooked up an alternate set of small speakers that I have for now since the lin-in is occupied by the TV vard && the DVD Player.... I'll etl you know if I figure it out...

Cole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2