Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Here's what I've done and what my problem is: First (in WindowsXP home) I resized the main partition (with PartitionMagic) so 13gigs were free to install LBA-Linux. I then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB Stage1.5. Help!

Hey,
    Here's what I've done and what my problem is:
    First (in WindowsXP home) I resized the main partition (with PartitionMagic) so 13gigs were free to install LBA-Linux. I then installed Linux which went smoothly. The problem is when my computer boots it displays the text,
    Code:
    GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
    and just hangs there forever. I can't do anything! I've reinstalled Linux, and I also tried to restore it but still the same problem. So as of now my computer is rendered useless, unless there's a way to boot into WindowsXP.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! It's been 3 days and still no fix.

Thanks

if I were to be presented with such a problem (and thankfully I'm not), I'd :-

1. Have a strong drink
    2. Read the grub tutorial on this site (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lems-grub.html)
    3. Create a grub boot diskette (see above tutorial)
    4. Boot with the diskette and then get my Linux running (again see above tutorial)
    5. Then look into the functioning of my hard disk and the Linux partition(s) (do you have a separate swap partition ?). Checking out the various logs in /var/log (such as "tail --lines 45 /var/log/messages") to see if they help and also doing a "dmesg". The files in question, by the way, live in /boot/grub folder (do you have a separate /boot partition [optional]).
    6. And I'd probably run a filesystem check (something like "e2fsk") to make sure that the filke system is okay.

Of course I might (if I had Fedora on CD/DVD) just boot onto that and then select the rescue option and then use that instaed of the grub boot diskette. Or, if I had a standalone distro, I'd boot straight into that and then look at my linux partitions from there.

There, there something to keep you busy and it may just solve your problem (ps. if the worse comes to the worse, you can always get WinXP to boot by redoing the mbr with its code (again, see the tutorial section - differebt post - for instructions)).

Nerderello
    Last edited by oz; 12-17-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: updated URL

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Damn, I have a different distro of Linux... does this matter? And I do NOT have a floppy disc drive

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    no it doesn't matter if you use one of the distros that I don't.

Try booting with a Linux CD and see if A) there is a rescue mode or B) you can then "chroot" over to the linux on the hard disk.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    The link to the tutorial is invalid now. Do know where I could still get it.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jvonmitchell View Post
    The link to the tutorial is invalid now. Do know where I could still get it.
    I've corrected the link so it should work now.
    oz