Find the answer to your Linux question:
text: loading keymap (us) and that's it. it will not go past that point. it will not do anything at all... i've been told to try disabling plug and play, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.1 hanging on bootup

text:

loading keymap (us)

and that's it. it will not go past that point. it will not do anything at all...

i've been told to try disabling plug and play, tried that, didnt work. tried not using my KVM switch, didnt work. tried using a non-windows 95 and later keyboard, just for fun. didnt work.

i've tried rebooting through all the boot options god knows how many times. i have not yet been able to get it to work. at all.

linux is installed on 14 gigs of a 40 gig hard drive. windows XP PRO is on the other partition.

this is on a K7S5A PRO, rev. 5, XP 2400+
    radeon 8500
    WD 40 gig hard disk.

after reformatting the linux partitions, and reinstalling linux, it wont get past the

"something hardware modules" or something like that... this is pissing me off......... :banghead:

Just Joined!
    installed again, told me hda5 not cleanly mounted, remounting, and stopped at 16.4%.

installing AGAIN, now.. this makes this the 4th time i've installed this POS i think....

Just Joined!
    and i get NO answers from ANYONE... so much for the "wonderful community" that is linux. this is fvcking pathetic.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Checking Module Dependencies....

this POS has hung on this in 2 installs............

Linux Guru
    1) Support on this board and all others that i know of is on a "best effort" basis. We are not being paid to sit here and help you, we all try to help each other, and that way we all move along.

2) No-one knows the answer to everything, and it sounds like you have tried all of the obvious stuff anyway.

3) Have you checked if ALL of your hardware is supported on the HCL: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3

Jason

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    1) Support on this board and all others that i know of is on a "best effort" basis. We are not being paid to sit here and help you, we all try to help each other, and that way we all move along.

2) No-one knows the answer to everything, and it sounds like you have tried all of the obvious stuff anyway.

3) Have you checked if ALL of your hardware is supported on the HCL: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3

Jason
    oh well, it doesnt matter anymore. i installed redhat, and except for a minor error which will cause me to reinstall it tomorrow, it worked flawlessly. (i forgot to set up an admin account, so when i boot up, it forces me into a non-admin account, so i can do nothing.)

anyway, it was mandrake's fault, because Knoppix and redhat have both worked. well.

and i'm sorry about being an ass. i get extremely frustrated when things dont work for no apparent reason.

Walleye,
    I know just how you feel. When I first installed Linux (Suse) I'd been working on computers for over 10 years and all of a sudden I was a learner again. It's very frustrating to be made to feel stupid by a piece of software.

I, like you, now use Redhat and like it a lot. The root (admin) account is, as you've found, important for doing stuuf with your PC. But you should be able to explore with a non-admin user account.

Remember, if you have a problem/question, don't beat your head against a brick wall for hours at an end, but ask us. We'll get back to you as soon as we can (I, alas, only check this forum out every lunch time).

have fun

Nerderello

If you entered a password for root than RedHat sets up an admin account for you. Type in root in the username box then enter the password.

Just Joined!
    yeah, i tried that after i saw a screenshot showing "root@localhost" or something like that. tried root as a screen name, and it worked.

thats good to hear. well if you have anymore questions jst ask we are all here to help.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!