Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i don't really know anything about Linux but a few pp online have said it is good and i have a local friend who uses it. I could probably ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windows compatibility questions

ok, i don't really know anything about Linux but a few pp online have said it is good and i have a local friend who uses it. I could probably find the answers to these questions if i looked thru all the treads but i am kinda pressed for time and they r short...

1. how compatible is linux with most programs? what will i not be able to run if i use it?

2. how much of a system hog is it?

3. if it won't run some windows programs, how incompatible will i be with the average windows user? can u use MSN/LAN ect?

[try to use more informative topic names. Linux questions could apply to almost any topic in this forum -dreamer ]

[How can you possibly be short for time to learn a new OS? It just like baking cookies. -flw ]

Linux Guru

Re: Linux Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kushan
    i am kinda pressed for time
    Dont let us keep you.

1. how compatible is linux with most programs? what will i not be able to run if i use it?
    Linux is compatable with programs which companies/developers have made a linux version. If you want to run windows programs, you can try using them under an emulator such as WINE, or find linux alternatives.

2. how much of a system hog is it?
    How much of a system hog is Windows? how much of a system hog is Windows with an unspecified amount of applications running?

3. if it won't run some windows programs, how incompatible will i be with the average windows user? can u use MSN/LAN ect?
    You can do many network things with linux, Things like MSN you can try to emulate the software under WINE, or you can use a linux alternative piece of software which allows you to chat on the MSN network.

Jason

Just Joined!
    1. Most programs made for linux will run provided you have the required files

2. Linux can run on almost any hardware, from a 286 right up to a p4 or athlon xp. the distro you use will determine how much of a resource hog it is.

3. only a handful of windows programs will run. and you need to use a windows emulator called wine to do it. there are however specialy made msn clients for linux. as for being on a LAN. linuc uses startd tcp/ip the same way windows does. you can also use a porgram called samba for creating and using windows shares. networking between the two systems is generaly quite easy.

good luck. but remember to do reasearch and take everything into consideration for your wants and needs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    Kushan wrote:
    i am kinda pressed for time

Dont let us keep you.
    lots of stuff going on atm, will have plent of spare time in a week or so.

thanks for the help, i guess i was sort of looking for a miracle product so that i could take my windows CD out and shoot it full holes :P

i think i will install it and then use a dual boot option so that i can pick linux or XP.