Find the answer to your Linux question:
I realise the topic is a little broad, but its quite a broad problem lol I have installed the latest version of Redhat in a dual boot with XP but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat Issues....

I realise the topic is a little broad, but its quite a broad problem lol

I have installed the latest version of Redhat in a dual boot with XP but on a separate drive, the install went fine, but as soon as i try to get to the bootloader Lilo just sits there with no options for what to boot.

I am a complete novice with Linux having just installed it yesterday so that i can learn php and MySQL in an appropriate environment, i also want to see what Linux is all about....

Could anyone help me out with this one, and please bear in mind my newbieness... i need very clear instructions....

My System spec is as follows -

Athlon XP 2200
    512mb DDR2700
    GeForce FX 5200
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP

The Linux drive is a 6gb one, clear of all other stuff, only Linux on it....

Cheers guys

Volt

Linux Guru
    Try reinstalling but using GRUB as the boot loader.

What partition did you put lilo on?

Jason

Linux User
    Did you make a boot disk? If not, slap your wrist! If so, boot with the floppy and then post what's in your /etc/lilo.conf file so we can take a look and make suggestions from there...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    I installed it yesterday evening with GRUB and it did the same thing.

Unfortunatley i dont have a floppy drive so creating a floppy was not an option, i am just about to install it again using Lilo this time i shall nick a floppy from work and make a disk when i install...

Will post later on tonight if it all works lol

P-Dub

Just Joined!
    Okay, it didnt work, and i have no idea how to get into the config files to tell ya's what it says... like i said i am a complete noob here...

I did boot with the floppy on this latest install, seemed to work okay til it got to the point of booting into the GUI, then it stops sending useful signals to my monitor.... may be an incompatability with my Graphics card, i am unsure...

I'm gonna try booting into it again using a low res....

Man i thought Linux was easy to use lol Guess i was wrong...

Voltranix.

Linux Guru
    if a lower res doent work, try running "xf86config" (if you can get to a command pormpt) and choosing a generic VESA driver. it should work with most graphics cards.

Jason

Voltranix,
    when you get to the stage that the gui just stops doing things, what do you see (exactly) on the screen?

Also, at this point try pressing Ctrl Alt F1. Hopefully this will give you a text screen with a Linux login (text only). If it does, login as root and then type :-

cat /etc/lilo.conf

which will display the contents of the lilo configuration file to the screen. From here you'll be able to write it down and send it for Copertop to have a look at (the cat command is a bit like the MSDOS 'type' command).

Or, if you're now attempting to use Grub (which I must admit I do), then type:-

cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

Also, if you get a text screen that lets you logon, try typing :-

df -h

this will show you how much room you have on your hard disk (just a wild hunch that you may not have any left).

Stick with it, once you get past this learning curve (which seems almost verticle at times) you'll soon learn to love Linux.

hope this helps
    Nerderello
    oh, by the way, to return to you gui screen, press Ctrl Alt F7