Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Brand spankin new to X, so far made good w/ dld md9.1 and install, love the features etc...But how in the heck do I install ANYTHING on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing programs in x

Hi all, Brand spankin new to X, so far made good w/ dld md9.1 and install, love the features etc...But how in the heck do I install ANYTHING on the os???? gzip, 7zip, doom for x....It seems like every tutorial I find gives a different set of commands and I am making NO progress here Is there something simple I'm missing? btw I am not a programmer. Just a reasonably well educated end user...so Thanks very much in advance for any tips anyone can help me out with....Phil

First off...What distro are you running?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    forgot some info didn't I? , mandrake 9.1, all patches and updates installed. TIA for the help...

the joys of Linux are that there are many ways to do the same thing.

Now, to install a new application, you can either compile it from a tar ball (bit like a Windows zip file) or install it using RPM (and yes, guys, I do know that there are other ways, but I'm keeping it simple).

The tarball way (the file will end in eother tar or gz) is :-
    1. untar the file
    2. read the README file that you've just untarred
    3. Optionally run a ./configure (you need to be in a terminal screen and in the sub-directory [folder] that you untarred into)
    4. run a make (this simple command - make - again run from within a terminal window within the sub-directory that you untarred into, will run a whole bunch of compile jobs for you)
    5. run a make install (see '4' above)
    6. run the executable (binary file)

The rpm way is (with a file ending .rpm) :-
    1. open a terminal window an become root / su
    2. enter 'rpm -i filename.rpm'
    3. run the binary / executable

or

1. From Gnome, open up your filemanager and double click on the rpm file in question. This will run a rpm for you.
    2. Run the executable

Don't worry if this all appears odd, once you've downloaded and installed one application, it'll become clear(er).

have fun

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies guys...nice out line you gave me, the simpler the better . I'm in that "other os" at the moment, I'll try it tonight.